IGNORED

Winslow WMA Hunt

MVday88

Hello All,

So I’ll start off by saying that I’m new to NJ just moved up here and wanted to do some hunting. I went out this morning and hunted the Winslow WMA SE corner by the pond and the back field and didn’t see anything. I went back in the evening and went back a little further and still saw nothing. Anyone hunt the Winslow Wildlife Managemnt area and have any information on good places to hunt around there. Thanks for your time. 

Winslow gets hit hard since they realese pheasant there the deer are there but not by the stocking areas

i don’t know what rd your coming in off of but by the sound of it you need to go more by the express way and deep into the swamp.

its also Friday so 50 clubs have pushed that 1000 times .

any place you try now you have to think deep thick swamp

43 minutes ago, MVday88 said:

Hello All,

So I’ll start off by saying that I’m new to NJ just moved up here and wanted to do some hunting. I went out this morning and hunted the Winslow WMA SE corner by the pond and the back field and didn’t see anything. I went back in the evening and went back a little further and still saw nothing. Anyone hunt the Winslow Wildlife Managemnt area and have any information on good places to hunt around there. Thanks for your time. 

Welcome to the site 88 :up:

I am sure you will get some good info from the members on here. 

18 minutes ago, MVday88 said:

Thanks Bones. I came in off East Piney Rd. I will try up near the expressway. Another thing is are there treestands around for you to use or do you pretty much need to bring in your own? Thanks for the reply. 

Welcome 88! I cant help you with this WMA but can tell you no matter where you hunt you need your own stand. I wouldn't recommend using someone else's stand.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

My first year hunting a few years back, I hunted Winslow WMA (the northern part, but not too far from you). I had lots of deer on trail camera - this is one video I got in early September as an example:

Lots of deer, UNTIL hunting season came. Then they disappeared. I never saw a deer while on stand. This year, I tried again in Winslow, but in a different spot. Got about the same amount of coyotes as deer on trail camera (but I only had the camera out a couple weeks). I did hunt that spot a few times, but again, never saw a deer.

Now that 6-day is here, as others said, I'm sure that place gets driven hard. Not just that, but they release lots of pheasants (and there's a field there off piney hollow where there is a field they release birds on) so it's getting lots of pressure just by the bird hunters and their dogs running around. So put two and two together (clubs driving, pheasant hunts), and you'll see the deer are going to scatter like the wind and lay low in the deep dark pockets of the swamps and thick stuff. The numbers bear this out - z65 is one of the zones with lower deer harvest numbers annually compared to other zones (also - 1 out of every 3 deer harvested in z65 coming during 6-day, according to last year's numbers - it gets hit hard).

Perhaps try Wharton Forest as an alternative, if you want to change up.

2 hours ago, AtcoJG said:

I agree with Swamprat zone 23 has alot of state land and no January shotgun days so less driving by the clubs. Although ive seen them drive the deer off 23 on Jackson into 19 which I think is total bs

OMG, let me tell you about that z19 just off Jackson road. Two years ago I decided to hunt that area during 6-day with a buddy of mine. We got in before dark. And by the time (I'm going to say, can't remember exactly) 10:00am came around, we had *3* clubs drive right through us. Not around us, literally a guy to my left and a guy to my right walking through. It was nuts. I never went back.

I didn't know they push deer off 23 to 19 - that sux, if only because they are putting the deer in danger (as well as the drivers in those cars) making them run across Jackson.