IGNORED

Gas prices....

LPJR

2 hours ago, nmc02 said:

It's hunting season...we got plenty to talk about.

Thanks for your 2 cents Nick. So let's hear about your week in the woods............

Good talk. 

Edited by LPJR

5 hours ago, Tarhunt said:

After the Exxon Valdez disaster, I've never got gas from them ever again. 

If you completely avoided petroleum products of any oil company based on their history of spills and willingness to accept full responsibility for said spills you would do an awful lot of bicycle riding. 

10 hours ago, NJ Predator said:

Owned by greedy people that's all. I have seen Exxons that charge differently from other Exxons depending where they are.

Greedy how?  If no one  wants to pay the price they don't have to, just go down the street.  Since when is a gas station forced to price its gas according to what it's competitors charge?:loco:

It's not price gouging, it's the free market as in"pay my price or go somewhere else".

Actually price gouging is a real thing. Camp Out , which is a business by me was fined for it in 2011 after hurricane sandy. Selling $500 generators for $1500. Maybe the market isn’t as free as you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Farmshine said:

Actually price gouging is a real thing. Camp Out , which is a business by me was fined for it in 2011 after hurricane sandy. Selling $500 generators for $1500. Maybe the market isn’t as free as you think.

Well, since it was during a "hurricane emergency"  there is probably some law that some NJ politician floated that allows for fines for raising prices during a "crisis".  But controlling gas prices on an everyday basis sounds like "price control".   

18 minutes ago, Farmshine said:

Not to get into a protracted debate, but that is exactly free market principles.  It's basic supply and demand.  The supply was low for generators and the demand was high, this situation always leads to higher prices in every economic situation.

Whether it's moral to do this during disasters is another discussion entirely...  I generally am against using the government to enforce moral standards.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

We have all of these problems involving money. The biggest one being the cost of medicines and healthcare which to me encourages the high price of everything else. We always hear of a need for cures to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, the list goes on. The real need for a cure is greed. Cure greed and all of the other cures will fall into place...Unfortunately, that will never happen as long as there are people who pony up to it.

Not to get into a protracted debate, but that is exactly free market principles.  It's basic supply and demand.  The supply was low for generators and the demand was high, this situation always leads to higher prices in every economic situation.
Whether it's moral to do this during disasters is another discussion entirely...  I generally am against using the government to enforce moral standards.

Agreed. 100%. My point was “price gouging “ is a real thing enforceable by the government. Trust me. I’m about as anti regulation as they come.