IGNORED

Savage 220 is awesome!

Is that your 100 yard group with a ZERO at 25 yards?

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Any of the owners having issues with the gun not cycling the shells ?  I know someone with one and he is having major issues with the cycling. He can only get one shot out of the gun. He killed a buck on Monday with the one shot but it is still frustrating him that it is not working properly. When you do a search online it seems it is a common problem with some of them with no answers on a fix. 

37 minutes ago, OMC said:

Any of the owners having issues with the gun not cycling the shells ?  I know someone with one and he is having major issues with the cycling. He can only get one shot out of the gun. He killed a buck on Monday with the one shot but it is still frustrating him that it is not working properly. When you do a search online it seems it is a common problem with some of them with no answers on a fix. 

This was one of my concerns after all I read online.  I have to say, the action feels good on this gun. I haven’t had any issues with cycling shells through it as of yet, it feels quite smooth actually.  

11 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

All you 220 owners shooting stock guns, or have you done any upgrades?

Only two things I did when I got mine 8 years ago....lapped the bolt and bolt rails to make it smoother it worked, and hydro dipped the stock in camo as black was the only color option back then. 

I do recommend the DNZ mounts 

1 hour ago, bushden said:

Is that your 100 yard group with a ZERO at 25 yards?

I still need more time with the gun to figure it all out, but I think I was an inch or so high at 25 yds when I moved  out to 100yds. I kept raising the elevation a few clicks at a time while I was shooting that five shot group because I ultimately wanted to end up about 2.5” high at 100yds.  Like I said, I need more time  with the gun to sort that all out, or actually I’d love to hear how others dialed in there 220’s shooting 3” Remington acutips. That’ll  save me some time trying to figure  out where this gun might be hitting at longer distances. I believe someone said 2.5” high at 100 yds will get you center chest aiming  and a dead deer  from 0 to 163 yds. 

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/federal-premium-vital-shok-12-gauge-3-300-grain-sabot-slugs-5-rounds?a=1582464

I have same.  I found that the 3 inch Federal Premium 260 grain or 300 grain slugs grouped even better than acccutips.  I know ever gun is different...but if it's worth a try...big improvement in my Savage 220.  

Edited by dlist777

1 hour ago, Bowhunter2004 said:

I still need more time with the gun to figure it all out, but I think I was an inch or so high at 25 yds when I moved  out to 100yds. I kept raising the elevation a few clicks at a time while I was shooting that five shot group because I ultimately wanted to end up about 2.5” high at 100yds.  Like I said, I need more time  with the gun to sort that all out, or actually I’d love to hear how others dialed in there 220’s shooting 3” Remington acutips. That’ll  save me some time trying to figure  out where this gun might be hitting at longer distances. I believe someone said 2.5” high at 100 yds will get you center chest aiming  and a dead deer  from 0 to 163 yds. 

https://images.remington-catalog.com/573cd0229b967

According to this table, if your 3.5" high at 100 yards you should be able to hold dead center from 0 to about 175 yards.

Edited by Woodsman416

Accutips shoot great but I have had expansion issues on Deer. 5 deer hit in the bread basket and no expansion, all died with in 200 yards but were a pain to find with little blood. It was like they got stabbed with a stiletto. I’ve switched to Lightfields and haven’t had an issue since. Just my experience, I’m sure I will get bashed for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, badams14 said:

Accutips shoot great but I have had expansion issues on Deer. 5 deer hit in the bread basket and no expansion, all died with in 200 yards but were a pain to find with little blood. It was like they got stabbed with a stiletto. I’ve switched to Lightfields and haven’t had an issue since. Just my experience, I’m sure I will get bashed for it.

Welcome to the site!  No one will bash you here, no worries!  Thanks for sharing your experience and what you changed to with better results. :up:

47 minutes ago, badams14 said:

I’m so use to them dropping in there tracks with my TC Omega.  A 200 yd track job would be disastrous on my little piece in Jersey👎

I love mine,but I did have some shell ejection issues today. I took the magazine out before ejecting the shell in the chamber. It wouldn't come off the extractors when I tried to unload. After racking it very hard a few times the shell finally fell out.

Also to lock in the magazine with the bolt forward (loaded or not) I have to wack the magazine base really hard.

3 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

https://images.remington-catalog.com/573cd0229b967

According to this table, if your 3.5" high at 100 yards you should be able to hold dead center from 0 to about 175 yards.

You need to get on a bench and try this out. According to the rem chart If you ZERO at 150 yards you are shooting 3.6" high at 100 and 2.7" high at 50 yards. You should consider ZEROing at the distance your average shot is. I zero mine at 100 yards shooting off a bench with a stable rest and have a tight less than 1" group, at 50 yards shooting  1.5" high and 10" low at 150 yards.

I have provided a chart as to what you bullet should be doing at 50 - 150 yards with that gun

xxx.jpg

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL