IGNORED

Right Church Wrong Pew This Year

BHC

Been hunting the same location since 2002, always saw deer, this year just haven't seen many. Over the years even last year I would see or get on camera of some really nice bucks, this year best I got was a basket 8 pointer. Coyotes I hear often, but not as much this year, and I have yet to see one.

I have access to 40 acres, most of which is a known bedding area I refuse to walk it until well after the season which ends January 31st (winter bow), my stand is on the border of the private/public land, about 80 yards from the start of the bedding area, below the 40 acres is public land, and about 400 yards of woods then yet another bedding area, overgrown 6' or higher of briars.  From the road on the public land to the border of the private land is 3 miles, I may see one hunter all season, as I did yesterday he was well away from the private land, he saw my orange hat/vest as I saw him and he turned around, if I do see anyone it's on opening day of 6 day, other then that I never see a soul so hunting pressure isn't a issue. The zone opens up later for archery, of course has extended archery, muzzleloader, 6 day, 3 days of permit shotgun, and winter bow and the season is over. As of last week I thought maybe someone on the private land next door had hunters, found out they will not allow anyone to hunt. My thinking is, the deer are there, but with zero pressure they lay down all day without being pressured to move.....During all phases of the rut seeing deer isn't a issue 

Things change and there could be many reasons why your little hole dried up. Better food source with near by cover for example. It could change again tomorrow or the next day.
I am on 40 acre lot with perfect deer habitat. Most of the time I don't have any hunts with out seeing at least few deer, many time 10 or more. This year i had several hunts with no dear or maybe one or two young deer. Only last two weeks show little improvement but I am still not seeing BIG mature does,  I am used to on this lot. I am sure it will change again. 

Edited by Lunatic

If there is one constant in hunting it is change. The environment changes and the deer change with it. Food sources, ground cover, felled trees and other hunters just to name a few. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of spots that used to be productive that changed for one reason or another. Naturally or man made. My spot now shows the thicket disappearing and moving farther down the hill. I'll have to move with it as I know the deer use it rather than expose themselves to the open woods this far in the season.

22 minutes ago, mightyhunter said:

With only 2 stands on 40 acres maybe the deer have patterned you and learned to avoid these areas. Try using a climber in other areas of the property until you locate them.

I have experienced this last year. They were snicking out of the bedding area, only 100 yards away from me, last area I would ever guess, and I never saw them. I put a plot watcher in and I saw a procession of deer going in and out. I move constantly, climbing almost every time I hunt,  and they still managed to do it.