IGNORED

Knife Sharpening

I know others have posted and asked questions concerning knife sharpening.

I am looking for anyone on here that sharpens hunting knives.

I use the small smiths when in the field but I am looking for someone to put the two bevels back on some hunting knives.

I have a buck knife with the gut hook, a couple German sweringen or something knives, and a folding buck knife.

Anyone on here do that sort of thing?

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I have the Ken Onion version of it.  Works awesome!  However, read about sharpening knives.  Angles are important and each kind of knife needs a different angle for its purposes.

Here is a GREAT link that you can start your research with:  https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Detailed-Discussion-on-Knife-Sharpening-Angles-W28.aspx

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

When I worked in retaurants & supermarkets, we always used a service to sharpen our knives, they would pick them up once or twice a month and give us new knives each time. A quick Google search shows quite a few in NJ, maybe they would let you drop by & put an edge on your knives for you?

At home, I use a belt sander to get an edge, and a 3-sided oilstone to keep my knives sharp.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

3 hours ago, Stan Putz said:

When I worked in retaurants & supermarkets, we always used a service to sharpen our knives, they would pick them up once or twice a month and give us new knives each time. A quick Google search shows quite a few in NJ, maybe they would let you drop by & put an edge on your knives for you?

At home, I use a belt sander to get an edge, and a 3-sided oilstone to keep my knives sharp.

When i worked in the slaughter house we had the same. 

At home I used the stones. Same for my chisels, stones, then leather strap.  and check on the finger nail.

Now with limited time and kids, I am just getting lazy.

I will check out this work horse. Video makes it looks easy. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Ken onion belt sharpener it's the best money ever spent. I use it almost daily.  Working in a trade requires a sharp blade. But that thing has worked miracles on blades I've chipped and hatchets I've abused lol. Also u said u had a buck knife. You can send it back to buck and for a small amount 6 bucks I think they restore factory edge. Details are on their website. I only buy buck knives.