IGNORED

Hastings barrel best slug choices???

Screaminta

Now I’ve never been a big slug gun hunter, but I saw the favorite slug gun thread below and it got me thinking. I have a 12ga 870 magnum and I just recently purchased a 24” Hastings barrel for it for a good price. I see that a number of guys still shoot the Hastings barrels, and I was wondering what slugs seem to shoot best out of them? Let me know, thanks!!

1 minute ago, maximus66 said:

What twist rate? Faster twist rate shoot sabots with 50cal best while slower twist rates shoot larger projectiles like lightfields better...usually but there are exceptions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the hasting’s are 1 in 34” twist rate. 

I believe the hasting’s are 1 in 34” twist rate. 

As BHC said, try a couple different brands, a couple that shoot 50 cals like winchester partition golds or hornandy sst, and a couple bigger projectile slugs like lightfields or accutips. Stick with 2 3/4, you really don’t need 3”. 1:34 usually does really good with bigger projectile

AWM

I thought a read somewhere to NOT use any copper or hard alloy bullets through hastings barrels.  I believe i read that direct from hastings.  I may be wrong and advising only from memory (which isnt always reliable, lol!). I have a browning with a hastings barrel  that throws lightfields really well past 100 yards.

I thought a read somewhere to NOT use any copper or hard alloy bullets through hastings barrels.  I believe i read that direct from hastings.  I may be wrong and advising only from memory (which isnt always reliable, lol!). I have a browning with a hastings barrel  that throws lightfields really well past 100 yards.

It shouldn’t matter if the projectile is in a plastic sabot sleeve. The plastic is all that touches the grooving.

1 hour ago, Gobblengrunt said:

It was for the remington copper solids which I have used in it before anyone knew better through my 1100

Edited by Greg

9 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

It shouldn’t matter if the projectile is in a plastic sabot sleeve. The plastic is all that touches the grooving.

I read that it was the harder alloy that could possibly bend the barrel!  I would stay with lightfields, they will shoot great!

3 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I read that it was the harder alloy that could possibly bend the barrel!  I would stay with lightfields, they will shoot great!

I guess I understand the worry, but I'm also guessing the plastic sabot sleeve is going to deform far more than a steel barrel will.  I'm no physicist though.  In fact I just spelled that word incorrectly and had to change it.  :) 

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

I shoot Federal 2 3/4 Barnes Expanders out of my Rem 1100 with the Hastings Barrel, very accurate.  I don't think they make them anymore.

Best slug out of a rifled barrel ever made......discontinued few years ago

I use Federal Trophy now or try Remington Copper Solids both a 2nd place to the Barnes Expander....IMO