IGNORED

FID for (shotgun) ammo-yes or no?

My FID is currently sitting in some black hole in Trenton (NJSP address change :banghead:) so my current FID and driver's license do not match.  I have shells laying around that I could use for opening day on Monday but I'd like to buy a box of something new and put a couple through my gun on Friday.  Am I stuck?  I've tried to go back and search and can't figure out whether its state law vs. a store-by-store policy, if its only for handgun ammo, etc...

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

12 and 20 guage ammo does not require fid..  on a side note it does not have to be a driver's license..  right before I moved 5 years ago I went and got another non driverI'd.  When I moved only changed DLkept non driver for ammo purchase than cut it up once new fid was ready...  but it was my parents house that I moved from.....

From what I've read an fid card is needed for any ammo that can be put into a handgun. So officially yes a fid card is needed because there are a few handguns that chamber a shotgun shell. With that said your average employ behind a counter doesn't know that. I'd say out of 10 times I have bought shotgun ammo only once did they ask for fid. 

Good luck

Nick

7 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

From what I've read an fid card is needed for any ammo that can be put into a handgun. So officially yes a fid card is needed because there are a few handguns that chamber a shotgun shell. With that said your average employ behind a counter doesn't know that. I'd say out of 10 times I have bought shotgun ammo only once did they ask for fid. 

Good luck

Nick

The law I read says fid need for ammo specifically designed for a hand gun but it could be in another section that states any

You don't need FID for buckshot or birdshot shotgun ammo. Only handgun ammo. 9mm, .45cal, that kind of thing. You probably would be asked for FID when buying .22lr also (though in one mom-n-pop store, they did not ask for FID when I bought .22lr).

Back when I DID buy stuff at Dick's, they asked for my  FID when I bought slugs. Because, you know, all these mass shootings with slug guns, someone had to do something! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

Lawfully, by statute, the answer is no. You need to be at least 18 and have proof of age. However, some merchants may ask to see it which is their right and may refuse the sale. You also have the right to shop somewhere else where that extra restriction isn't required.  

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 minute ago, Bucndoe said:

Lawfully, by statute, the answer is no. You need to be at least 18 and have proof of age. However, some merchants may ask to see it which is their right and may refuse the sale. You also have the right to shop somewhere else where that extra restriction isn't required.  

Dick's had/has this policy...pretty sure they keep a book of the FID numbers and ammo purchased.

Just now, BowhunterNJ said:

Dick's had/has this policy...pretty sure they keep a book of the FID numbers and ammo purchased.

Which is specifically why I do not spend a dime there. They are adding restrictions and infringing on a customers 2A rights 

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Just now, Bucndoe said:

Which is specifically why I do not spend a dime there. They are adding restrictions and infringing on a customers 2A rights 

They're talking about closing their hunting departments entirely.  Good!  F them.  They started with their AR ban, and gun owners and hunters hit them where it hurts...in the wallet!  Now Dicks is crying profit losses in the hunting department and may have to close them.  Dumb company, and hopefully works out better for the smaller local hunting shops!

1 hour ago, Swamprat said:

Good luck

Nick

The question was for shells for Monday. One can't use a shotgun less than 20 ga so your answer doesn't apply and only leads to confusion of the laws. Handgun ammo is a different topic and not what was asked

Edited by Bucndoe

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

They're talking about closing their hunting departments entirely.  Good!  F them.  They started with their AR ban, and gun owners and hunters hit them where it hurts...in the wallet!  Now Dicks is crying profit losses in the hunting department and may have to close them.  Dumb company, and hopefully works out better for the smaller local hunting shops!

Revenues are off nearly 5% and they are blaming it on hunters walking away after their ban on selling ARs.  Now they want to consider eliminating hunting all together.  F-them!!!  Better for the local little guys, I guess, and that is a good thing.