IGNORED

Bait pile to Bait pile

MPSR

It amazes me how mature bucks become nocturnal and go from bait pile to bait pile.. I had some slammers in my yard just before dark. Then a friend of mine has them on his bait pile. I spoke to someone else today who lives about 2 miles away and enjoys watching the deer and she shows me pics of the same dam bucks in her yard.. Was shocked in the distance they go...

Remember the days of using the string trail timers or picking up a good deer run knowing sooner or later they will be through? 

7 hours ago, MPSR said:

Remember the days of using the string trail timers or picking up a good deer run knowing sooner or later they will be through? 

I remember those string timers. Thing were a lot more simple back then. Didn't need to carry as much crap as we do now. My back pack is probably 15 lbs with all the stuff i carry

That's the problem I am having with a buck on my property. He shows up every single day from 1-2 a.m till 6-7a.m and there is no way for me to get into my blind with out busting him...I believe he travels far between the hours he's not here since I have no pictures of him any other time...suck.my property is small and I don't have room to move around and catch him coming or going...if I stop baiting he disappears till I put food out again

9 hours ago, MPSR said:

The kids and I bait a couple of local blinds by us because it's easy to keep up but they are starting to go nocturnal.  Going to stop regularly baiting and only bait a day or two before we hunt and use some Pinch Point to put the odor in the air and see if it brings them out during the light.  Also go back to mineral rocks as well just to have something there in front of trail camera.

Having said all that, one of my most consistent producing spots, year in and year out, is one that is a natural travel route that they take going up and down a mountain.  It turns out that it is also an escape route when they are pressured due to the lay out of the land.  I use it only during gun season though because you never know how close they are going to be.  We don't bait for gun much.

I never bait on a regular basis at all. It makes the deer nocturnal. I have two private properties that I don't bait at all and I always see deer. The other two properties, I bait a few days before I go out hunting. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Always amazed at how far they will travel seeking out doe. There are always newcomers showing up on the camera with the resident doe who feed on my feeble offerings. The scrapes and rubs of the early season are abandoned with little to no activity while new rubs begin to appear where the doe congregate. I call them frustration rubs because of the intense frenzy the bucks are in to find a hot doe. The rubs themselves show their fever.

That's the problem I am having with a buck on my property. He shows up every single day from 1-2 a.m till 6-7a.m and there is no way for me to get into my blind with out busting him...I believe he travels far between the hours he's not here since I have no pictures of him any other time...suck.my property is small and I don't have room to move around and catch him coming or going...if I stop baiting he disappears till I put food out again
I'd only bait in the am on days or day before I wanna hunt and never daily.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would not mind if they outlawed baiting. There are guys dumping full dump truck loads of corn the average hunter can not compete with that amount of bait. The deer go nocturnal knowing the food will still  there in the middle of the night, it changes the natural moment patterns . Also sitting over bait is not that easy as the deer seem to always circle and scent check the bait location. They get the slightest bit of the hunter's scent and then even if they come in they are at full alert. I do bait but only lightly as everyone else around my areas are dumping tons of bait. Another problem is when feeding with corn the deer's stomach does t change over to eating woody browse so when all of a sudden the baiting stops in Winter the deer can actually die of starvation.

I would not mind if they outlawed baiting. There are guys dumping full dump truck loads of corn the average hunter can not compete with that amount of bait. The deer go nocturnal knowing the food will still  there in the middle of the night, it changes the natural moment patterns . Also sitting over bait is not that easy as the deer seem to always circle and scent check the bait location. They get the slightest bit of the hunter's scent and then even if they come in they are at full alert. I do bait but only lightly as everyone else around my areas are dumping tons of bait. Another problem is when feeding with corn the deer's stomach does t change over to eating woody browse so when all of a sudden the baiting stops in Winter the deer can actually die of starvation.
Agree!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk