electric10162

Saskatchewan Bound!

10 hours ago, stratocaster said:

What kind of deer did you see? Bucks, does?   A mile really isn't that far, you're just used to the jersey 100 yard shuffle.  At least you are really hunting up in Alberta and the caliber of bucks is something you could never see in NJ. Just MO.

The guy we hunt with in Saskatchewan is from Alberta.....should tell you something:hmmmer:

On 12/4/2018 at 6:53 PM, Happy said:

Do you see a lot of deer while on stand?  Last time I was in Alberta I maybe saw a deer a day and had to walk about a mile each way to my stand. Had to change my clothes every morning when I got in the blind.  Not fun in minus zero degrees. 

Ive hunted Sask several times. Depends a lot on the area you hunt. Ive seen steady parades of deer all day long and Ive sat dark to dark not seeing a single deer. Wolves are a big problem and can come through the night before and push everything out of an area. Even in the midwest, dont expect to see a parade of deer like you see in Nj. You hunt remote areas to hopefully come across a buck sporting a massive rack like you only see in magazines. Im ok with not seeing large amounts of deer on a week long hunt. You just need to be where they live and you only need to see one deer. 

You can go from nothing to a world class deer in seconds. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very good buck for anywhere! Congrats!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Ive hunted Sask several times. Depends a lot on the area you hunt. Ive seen steady parades of deer all day long and Ive sat dark to dark not seeing a single deer. Wolves are a big problem and can come through the night before and push everything out of an area. Even in the midwest, dont expect to see a parade of deer like you see in Nj. You hunt remote areas to hopefully come across a buck sporting a massive rack like you only see in magazines. Im ok with not seeing large amounts of deer on a week long hunt. You just need to be where they live and you only need to see one deer. 

You can go from nothing to a world class deer in seconds. 

The herd is making a comeback after the winter of 2010 which had prolonged -50 to -70 temps. The locals claim the wolf population has leveled off so deer numbers have been rising steadily.