IGNORED

Opinions On How Much to Trim Venison (Home Butchering)

Lou.D

Hey Everyone,

Hope everyone is having a successful season. I have a question for anyone that butchers their own deer. I have always butchered all of my harvests myself. I sometimes feel as though I am trimming to much or in otherwords being to ocd about removing as much silverskin, fat, and gristle. One thing I can say, is that I have never given a piece of my own butched deer away and had a review of "gamey" taste, even to non hunters and new wild game eaters. When im finished it looks like something you would pic up at the store. Its a labor of love and respect to use as much as possible from the animal and a looong day. Just wanted to check if im going overboard. Thanks for the input.

-Lou

Okay thanks for the responses guys 👍🏻 I personally dont have a grinder, so what I do with any trim that I cut off of main muscle groups, I cube and pack in 1 or 2 lb vac bags for burritos, stews etc. And if i want to dice up for a burger I still have that option.

1 minute ago, Lou.D said:

Okay thanks for the responses guys 👍🏻 I personally dont have a grinder, so what I do with any trim that I cut off of main muscle groups, I cube and pack in 1 or 2 lb vac bags for burritos, stews etc. And if i want to dice up for a burger I still have that option.

Take some cubes and hit em in seasoned flour then fry them. Mmmmmmmmm

33 minutes ago, Lou.D said:

Buy a 100 dollar grinder..  you will find u have less waste..  I also have a slicer..  I partially freeze the shoulder roasts and make chip steak...  my next thing is a band saw for making  bone in and lollie pop chops..  also for making the ribs smaller.  I have double boiled than baked them in bbq and jelly and man they come out great..  just a lot of work without band saw

Edited by vdep217

1 minute ago, Black Bear Bowhunter said:

Absolutely agree! Do the same thing. Everything white has to go.

Got a bandsaw to make bone in.

For jerky I use the flank steak since the skin and fat removes easily and the are so thin anyways. Everyone loves the jerky!!

I use ground for jerkey..  more uniform

I think they claim that the "fat" holds the "gamey" taste. The "silver skin" is tough but will melt away with slow cooking. It's not good when grilling meat. Whether you trim before or after makes no difference if it doesn't bother you but it may turn other people off. Also, a lot of silver skin can prevent marinades or rubs from getting  full coverage.  When grinding meat I always try to get as much silver skin and tendons out so it doesn't clog up the grinder plate.