IGNORED

Last Youth Day - Minutes To Late

Russ 11

Was my sons last youth day and he was jacked up as usual . We had a good morning hunt with with one buck that tempted him but he passed and several smaller bucks and does . Also had a nice encounter with a bobcat .

Afternoon hunt we moved to another property and lots of deer piling out to a cut corn field . 4 or 5 small bucks were out , some chasing does but nothing he was interested in taking . It amazes me how our kids today are letting these young bucks walk but I love it . Legal shooting light ends and his youth days are over . But..... We are stuck in the tree waiting for some deer to clear out when a really nice 8 pops out 30 yards away following a doe . With the snow you could see him as clear as day but 10 minutes to late . Agonizing to sit and watch him walk off but it was the right thing to do . It was a great day in the field with him and one we will always remember .  Time has gone by so fast and we will truly miss these youth days .

image.jpeg

On 11/18/2018 at 9:39 AM, Psehunter said:

That's hunting, that's great to hear that your son has that type of trigger control that he won't just shoot anything that walks....is that the buck in your picture?? Looks really light out still

That’s the buck he passed in the morning .

Russ that was a great last youth day without a doubt! Kudos to your son. I had many ask me why my son passed on several bucks and does yesterday morning.....A 6 pointer was posing in front of the 220 yesterday morning and I knew the answer when I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. He looks at me and said "I'm good. He will be nicer next year." He was fully aware that a bigger deer was at this spot and he has the patience of a seasoned hunter, far more than I did at 14 years old! 

Best of luck the rest of the season! :up:

1 hour ago, Russ 11 said:

Was my sons last youth day and he was jacked up as usual . We had a good morning hunt with with one buck that tempted him but he passed and several smaller bucks and does . Also had a nice encounter with a bobcat .

Afternoon hunt we moved to another property and lots of deer piling out to a cut corn field . 4 or 5 small bucks were out , some chasing does but nothing he was interested in taking . It amazes me how our kids today are letting these young bucks walk but I love it . Legal shooting light ends and his youth days are over . But..... We are stuck in the tree waiting for some deer to clear out when a really nice 8 pops out 30 yards away following a doe . With the snow you could see him as clear as day but 10 minutes to late . Agonizing to sit and watch him walk off but it was the right thing to do . It was a great day in the field with him and one we will always remember .  Time has gone by so fast and we will truly miss these youth days .

image.jpeg

Someday, he'll be passing on 140 inch 8 points.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".