IGNORED

Sorry for my dog

pjb

To all of the bird hunters in Collier's today, I am sorry for my dogs behavior. I thought I could take him out without his correction collar. He was downright unruly. I guess he needs more training. I put his leash on when other dogs were around, this seemed to help today, but that's not the answer. More discipline training is in order for him. If you have any tips,  I'm listening. 

Better to always keep the E collar on. Worked wonders on my lab.
The collar works great. My son had the remote in his truck.....he went south zone duck hunting this morning. Failure to prepare on my part. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I also use a e collar, but your dog will need to be introduced to this as well. A e collar should not be used in replacement of inadequate training, imagine you don't know right from wrong and you get zapped by electric shock.....not good. Stay with the leash and take the dog out with a long shock cord. I would suggest running the dog only(no gun) and have a partner with gun. I am assuming the dog is not gun shy. A lot of great guy's and gal's on here with dogs....reach out by all means. All the best.

I also use a e collar, but your dog will need to be introduced to this as well. A e collar should not be used in replacement of inadequate training, imagine you don't know right from wrong and you get zapped by electric shock.....not good. Stay with the leash and take the dog out with a long shock cord. I would suggest running the dog only(no gun) and have a partner with gun. I am assuming the dog is not gun shy. A lot of great guy's and gal's on here with dogs....reach out by all means. All the best.
Great advice. We trained all year on scent and commands. We were missing the distractions of live birds and other dogs. I may have my son hunt next week and I just run the dog. Focusing on the dog instead of hunting may help. I think I'd enjoy it too.

Go back to obedience. I am a firm believer that a dog is not ready unless they listen on every command without correction. Will the dog sit, stay, stop and come on a single command?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought his obedience was good. The distractions in the field have proven otherwise. We will be going back to square one. It was overwhelming for him....Collier's Mills sunrise hunt. It can be overwhelming for me at times.

If he does well on his own try bringing him on a 30’ leash around a group. Can be overwhelming for sure. The leash will keep him attached to you and your commands. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking about that. Tying the check cord on my belt so he can only hunt close to me. I realize his failures are mine. WE need more training.

He is still Young give him time keep working on obedience comes first then add ecollar it has to be done right . Good luck
Thanks. A 1 year old lab is definitely young. I knew this would an interesting hunting year. Haha. I actually think he's going to be fine, but he's a little rough around the edges right now.