IGNORED

11/17 - Bills Quest for his Buck. Get her done Bill

BillW0323

34 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thought for sure you would have found him this morning.  Did you kick him up or did he get up on his own?  I still bet you will find him not more than 200yds away.  He may have backtracked after the pressure was off to go back to where he came from.  Hope you can get some closure at some point.

I did not end up kicking him up again. However if he was still alive first thing this morning then he was jumped by a guy that had his son out for youth day. The owner of the property gave me permission to track knowing that his friend was out there with his kid. We passed each other and I apologized for ruining his hunt. He told me that he saw the blood trail. I said okay thanks and we carried on. The dog tracker, the dog and myself searched about 200-300 yards in each direction of the last blood and couldn’t find any other sign. My watch has GPS and it calculated that I walked 4.2 miles from the time I started tracking him from where I jumped him last night. From the shot spot to last blood was 2.1 miles but with all the extra tracking I doubled that making sure to look in all places I thought he could possibly have went. I slipped and fell really hard in a brook at one point. Ended up hurting my knee, hip, shoulder and tweaked a muscle in my neck. That deer is one resilient bastard. It’s not the outcome I wanted and it’s gunna bother me for a while but I know I gave it my all. 

56 minutes ago, BillW0323 said:

I did not end up kicking him up again. However if he was still alive first thing this morning then he was jumped by a guy that had his son out for youth day. The owner of the property gave me permission to track knowing that his friend was out there with his kid. We passed each other and I apologized for ruining his hunt. He told me that he saw the blood trail. I said okay thanks and we carried on. The dog tracker, the dog and myself searched about 200-300 yards in each direction of the last blood and couldn’t find any other sign. My watch has GPS and it calculated that I walked 4.2 miles from the time I started tracking him from where I jumped him last night. From the shot spot to last blood was 2.1 miles but with all the extra tracking I doubled that making sure to look in all places I thought he could possibly have went. I slipped and fell really hard in a brook at one point. Ended up hurting my knee, hip, shoulder and tweaked a muscle in my neck. That deer is one resilient bastard. It’s not the outcome I wanted and it’s gunna bother me for a while but I know I gave it my all. 

Dam Bill hope your ok.  I know you brother you gave it your all.  That is all you can do

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Absolutely sucks, all you can do is give it you best and you did.

Early season I shot a doe hit little back liver shot,  whatever the excuse,  I sat watched her bed and get up bed again, the group of deer she was with left after about 45 minutes and she got up with them.

No biggie but the were greeted with 5 kids playing in the woods,  needless to say went out in am to find great blood till she made the hardest run of her life. 

Their will to survive is 1000 times ours. 

Truly unbelievable animals,  you did one hell of a job.

Remember nature wastes nothing 

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

19 hours ago, BillW0323 said:

That sucks, but you gave it everything you could.  They are tough. Don't let it get to you.  Good luck with the new piece. 

I had 2 liver shots, and if it wasn't for my son and a friend circling around where one bedded, plus the snow to track, we wouldn't have gotten another shot in him the next day.  The other,  a friend circled it everytime it laid down, but it ran between us each time.  Just before dark I pranced over a hill grunting where he last went, and got a second shot in him as he stood up 10yds away with an "oh shit" look in his eyes.

28 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

That sucks, but you gave it everything you could.  They are tough. Don't let it get to you.  Good luck with the new piece. 

Yeah he was definitely a tough bastard. It’ll bother me for a bit but I’ll continue to hunt and hopefully get a shot at another nice buck. If not this year there’s plenty more seasons ahead of me.