IGNORED

11/8/18 - Pheasant/Quail Season Opens Saturday, November 10

So what's the deal this year with the orange cap law.

Did they change the law?

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

If you're hunting a WMA with people around who you don't know, wear as much orange as possible, particularly a hat.

You want / need to be seen !  Don't worry about whats written in the digest.

Be safe everyone and enjoy your time afield.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I downloaded the digest and found what I was looking for, page 27.

Firearm hunters must wear a cap made of solid
daylight fluorescent orange or an outer garment
containing at least 200 square inches of fluorescent
orange material visible from all sides at all times while
engaged in hunting. A camo-orange hat alone is not
adequate. This applies to all persons while hunting
with a firearm for deer, bear, rabbit, hare, squirrel, coyote,
fox, railbirds, and game birds including while in
a treestand. See exceptions below along with ground
blind hunting fluorescent orange requirements.
It is mandatory to wear a hunter orange hat when
firearm hunting for small game on wildlife management
areas stocked with pheasant or quail. See list of
WMAs at Pheasant and Quail Stamp Areas, page 14.

* So I guess it is called hunter orange and not blaze orange anymore?

* a hunter orange hat with writing and orange vest so long as it equals 200 square inches of fluorescent material

INAL but this is my interpretation. I ask these questions because I had in writing one year the regs and response from the div. Then at a WMA the game warden was handing out tickets to people without a solid orange hat all the while 15 minutes before I cleared with another game warden that a solid orange hat was not need so long as you had an orange vest.

* don't know about you but trying to find a solid orange hat with out any writing is not an easy task.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

When I went through hunters ed course several years ago, they specifically said "if an orange hat is required, it must have no logos or anything on it - plain orange hat - you will get ticketed otherwise".

If you are firearm hunting (for anything) on WMA stocked with birds, you are required to wear a hat, and thus it must be plain orange. Whatever else orange you have on (200 sq. in. or whatever) doesn't matter - the hat is required and thus must be plain orange.

(BTW: by the same token, if you do not have to wear a hat - e.g. you are firearm hunting on other non-stocked public or private lands, and you have a vest with 200 sq. in. of orange - then I don't think the hat matters (you could wear a camo, green hat, and you are legal with the vest, so a a camo-orange or an orange-with-logo would still be legal, too))

Edited by mazzgolf

39 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

When at a WMA the game warden was handing out tickets to people without a solid orange hat all the while 15 minutes before I cleared with another game warden that a solid orange hat was not need so long as you had an orange vest.

Last year (IIRC) was the first year they made it mandatory to wear a hat on stocked WMAs. If you did this years ago, then I think both wardens could have been correct because back then if you had a vest with 200 sq in, you could wear whatever hat you wanted. BUT if you did NOT have a vest, THEN you need a hat - and if the only hat you had was a camo-orange or one with large logos, then you ran afoul of the rule. That's probably why the warden was writing tickets - to the people without vests and not a plain orange hat. 

As for finding plain orange hats - yeah, it's a pain. I got mine at Tractor Supply a couple years ago - it came with one of those cheap orange vests for like $5. Check your local Tractor Supply - now's the time of year they probably stocked them again.

Some wardens will give the ticket but you can fight it and win or just wear a full orange hat and put the issue to rest. Warden tried pushing that on me because although the cap was orange the visor was brown. When i pointed to my sons wool hat not having a visor at all and no more orange than my hat he moved on without an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

best to wear solid orange hat.. brim orange, no logo and no writing

I think we are sitting out opening day this year, if not then we will go out late afternoon.  Greenwood is starting to be a mad house.

Took off for veterans day  and we will hit up colliers mills monday and try for a couple, should be some around if saturday holds as pretty windy.