moderncaveman

Allamunchy Sate Park Squirrel Hunt 11/3

Was hoping I could get some insight and advice on my recent hunting trip this Saturday.

Made it into the field at Allamunchy by 11:45 am due to the weather predicting rain in the morning. I walked the route posted below, from the Allamunchy Pond to Deer Park Pond hoping to find some squirrels for my first hunt ever, as I just got my license last week. 

I hunted the route for 4 hours, making it back to my car a little after 4pm. During my hunt, I did not see ONE squirrel. I saw lots of squirrel nests in the trees and nuts on the ground, but no movement. I ended up seeing 1 buck and 4 does while walking the woods. 

I am curious as to why I saw no movement. Is it because I hunted the wrong hours? It was a little windy and rainy, could this have caused the squirrel to bunker down? 

My tact was to trek as quietly as possible to a bunch of trees (some of the park is super thick so I made more noise than I wish), and once I got to the trees, I'd sit down for 20 minutes and scan the tree tops. Again, with zero success. Did I not sit still for long enough? 

Any tips of advice would be more than welcome. I plan on going back out in the field this Thursday and Friday, as I have off work. I plan on hitting a new piece of land, maybe BlackRiver WMA or a WMA further up north. 

Thanks again!

Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 8.54.45 AM.png

• Like 1

When it's windy like that they ain't moving much. Birds of pretty are thier #1 enemy. 

If I'm specifically targeting squirrels I'll walk the last hour of daylight. Just like deer they will start to move as sun sets and winds die down. 

You'll hear them before you see them. 

• Like 1

Swamprat

What about early morning? Do they move just as the sun is rising? Your answer makes sense, as the wind was causing a bunch of the trees to shake. 

Yeah they will. I know I see them while deer hunting. I just can't bring myself to wake up before sunrise for squirrels. Haha. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the site Caveman.  

Every hunt is a learning experience, the most important thing is to enjoy your time in the woods.  

It's interesting to watch how squirrels react while sitting in a deer stand.  They will be actively feeding but when a person walks through the area they all climb up the trees and lay flat on the branches until the person is gone.  I'm sure that you walked past dozens of squirrels during your hunt.  

Try sitting quietly with your back against a tree in an area with mast trees.  The first and last hour or two are the best times for squirrel activity.  

Best of luck and keep up posted of your progress.    

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

My observations on squirrel hunting:

1). Like most game animals, they respond to pressure & being hunted. Kill a bunch in one area, and it probably won't be as simple next time.

2). If you are going to still hunt them, walk VERY slowly, as if you were still hunting deer. Walk 20 yards, stop and stay motionless 10 minutes before moving again, repeat. Most times you are better off finding a solid area, get comfortable, and just sitting down & waiting them out.

3).They move best early morning & before sundown, but should be active most of the day in October & November. Severe cold, wind, & rain will slow them down a lot.

4). If you have a treestand, hunt from that. I don't know the reason, but they will pick you out on the ground much faster than they will in a tree.

Edited by Stan Putz
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

A strategy that works well for us is once you have a squirrel down, sit quietly and slowly clean it and cut it up for the pot.  Usually while you are doing this other squirrels will start moving again and you will get more shots.  

• Like 1

Lol welcome to tree rats hunting....it is amazing that when you want to hunt them they just disappear!....I love to do is sit and wait, wait for a Bunch to come out and wait till they get comfortable, then once you have a few close by make a plan in your head as to how your going to shoot and go for it as fast as you can..see if you can get 3 with the 3 shots you got in your gun...I've only been able to pull that off a hand full of times but it's fun...sunny calm days are perfect for it...good luck and welcome to hunting !

• Like 2

Just announce to them your hunting for deer. They’ll show up then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I love squirrel hunting. Been out several times already this year.

I think the time you went out is not conducive to a successful hunt. I would not go out when you did. Early morning or late evening (dusk or dawn) are the best times. Not saying you can't be successful mid-day, but odds are better dusk or dawn. I almost always hunt at first light. They seem to come out the most the first couple hours of daylight. During the late morning, early afternoon I don't think you will see many out and about.

You can try sitting still rather than hiking. Find a good place (grove of oak trees near water or something like that) and get there 15 or 30 minutes before sunrise. Let the woods quiet down - once legal shooting time arrives (sunrise), listen for the scratching of the squirrels running up and down tree trunks and listen for them scurrying around in the leaves. You can either wait for them to come to you or, if you can hear or see them, you can try to sneak up on them. But watch out - if they see you, they will run like a bat out of hell in the other direction or they will run up a tree and start barking at you. I don't mind the latter - in fact, that's another thing you can listen for. Listen for the squirrels barking (their alarm sound when they see something they don't like). Sometimes they will bark and bark and bark and you can use that to pinpoint their location. However, I've noticed if you get too close, and they notice you (or you are the reason they were barking in the first place) they shut up and go radio silent stealth mode. When those things go silent and don't move a muscle, they are VERY hard to spot in the trees.

Anyway, that's how I hunt them sometimes - sitting and waiting them out. Alot of people find that boring or they are not patient enough - so they do what you did - walk the woods. I do that too but you are much easier being spotted by them - and they are harder to hunt when they spot you first.

Good luck!

Edited by mazzgolf
  • Like 3

Stay on the trails. its a quieter way instead of just plowing through the woods straight up that hill. Also, I used to stop at places along my walk and wait for a while before moving again. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Shakyjake said:

Stay on the trails. its a quieter way instead of just plowing through the woods

That's good advice too. I've had squirrels run right in front of me and cross the trail I was walking on. Or I've seen them in trees next to trails. Easy pickins' then. As you walk the trails, look up in the trees and watch for moving tree limbs and leaves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

That's good advice too. I've had squirrels run right in front of me and cross the trail I was walking on. Or I've seen them in trees next to trails. Easy pickins' then. As you walk the trails, look up in the trees and watch for moving tree limbs and leaves.

Two crow has spoken.:acclaim:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hunterbob1 said:

Two crow has spoken.:acclaim:

I can give you advice to kill crows too - but I'm not very good at that either ;) 

• Haha 2