IGNORED

Permethrin

6 minutes ago, gillripper said:

Somebody on the site said they have used spray by Sawyer for clothes and it was very effective. 

It's very effective, because... it's 0.5% permethrin! Permethrin is great stuff.

Of course, Sawyers is also very expensive, too. You'll see if you start buying it over and over again and you compare it to how many gallons of the stuff you can make with a single $20 bottle of concentrate with the same effectiveness.

I bought Sawyers once. Then I saw how little clothing it sprayed and that you need to apply it again every 4 to 6 weeks. Simply way to expensive for me, compared to the same effectiveness I get with the solution made from concentrate.

But Sawyers is very effective, no doubt about it.

38 minutes ago, gillripper said:

Thanks all for the info. I ended up buying a bottle of tick repellent for pets by Zodiac. I bought a spray by Sawyer for my clothes. Somebody on the site said they have used spray by Sawyer for clothes and it was very effective. 

Sawyers, and others, are .5% permethrin and 95.5% inert ingredients.  Don't know what you paid, but compare that to thirty two 24oz-28oz bottles for $20.  Same thing if you mix it yourself.

That's 62.5 cents a bottle.  I buy it by the gallon, so it's even cheaper.  One bottle is only going to do a few pieces of clothing if you soak them good enough to last.

Edited by Greybeard

14 hours ago, Stan Putz said:

I did some quick reading, while it isn't as toxic as I thought it was, I still I wouldn't trust this sprayed directly on my dogs, regardless of what anyone on the internet might say. 

Well, to be fair, it isn't "the internet" saying it - it's the actual manufacturer's label and directions that say it. Control Solutions, Inc. makes this Martin's permethrin. Click the "Market Label" on this page here to see the actual labeling/directions: https://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/martin-s/product-details/?cat_1=pest-control&cat_2=&cat_3=&id=24234

If I'm not mistaken, anything they claim in the label is federally regulated (i.e. they can't just make up the claim that their insecticide is safe for a particular use; I believe they need scientific data to support the claims they make in their labels). They even list an EPA regulation on the label: EPA Reg. No. 4-350-53883 (if you click that link, I think that's the letter from the EPA that tells Control Solutions their label is OK for their permethrin product).

Oh, and to be clear - you do NOT spray this directly on dogs right out of the bottle - you need to mix it with water first to dilute it. The label gives the proper directions on how to mix it.

20 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Well, to be fair, it isn't "the internet" saying it - it's the actual manufacturer's label and directions that say it. Control Solutions, Inc. makes this Martin's permethrin. Click the "Market Label" on this page here to see the actual labeling/directions: https://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/martin-s/product-details/?cat_1=pest-control&cat_2=&cat_3=&id=24234

If I'm not mistaken, anything they claim in the label is federally regulated (i.e. they can't just make up the claim that their insecticide is safe for a particular use; I believe they need scientific data to support the claims they make in their labels). They even list an EPA regulation on the label: EPA Reg. No. 4-350-53883 (if you click that link, I think that's the letter from the EPA that tells Control Solutions their label is OK for their permethrin product).

Oh, and to be clear - you do NOT spray this directly on dogs right out of the bottle - you need to mix it with water first to dilute it. The label gives the proper directions on how to mix it.

WHOAAA..take a step back please...

All I am saying is that when I first became aware of Sawyers/permethrin, I was told it was HIGHLY toxic & effective. The message I got was wear a mask & gloves whenever touching the stuff (diluted version). I sprayed it on my hunting clothes and my meat cutting clothes (I owned a deer processing business at the time), and it worked. I never gave it much thought after, until I read this thread & spent about 10 minutes searching the net, and what I am seeing now is that it isn't as toxic as I was first led to believe. That is all, no agenda.

Actually, I have been using  cattle ear tags for tick control for years (1/2 tag zip tied around their collar where they can't get at it), and to my shock/surprise, one of the active ingredients is PERMETHRIN!!! :shock::shock::shock:

I am aware that if you mix your own spray, you have to dilute with water, and that Sawyers is the diluted version that is safe to spray on clothes. . But I am still not sure I would want to spray diluted permethrin directly on my dogs, I know we aren't supposed to spray  diluted permethrin directly on our skin (humans), and we all know dogs will lick themselves in all kinds of places a human wouldn't be able to. It just seems there are better options available.

thumbnail_20181104_064452.jpg

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

6 hours ago, Stan Putz said:

and we all know dogs will lick themselves in all kinds of places a human wouldn't be able to. 

That is exactly why a dog licks his nutz, because he can

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."