IGNORED

Sika Deer shot on film...is it dead?

SoloFilmer

So I Sika Deer hunt with an outfitter in MD every year. Chasing these critters is a heck of a time and mainly done with feeders. I know its frowned upon by some people but its just how its done down here. So I have killed a couple Hinds (does) over the years this year we dad was able to kill a beautiful 6pt (which is a trophy) and a doe on two separate days. I ended up holding off on shooting a hind and wanted to kill a stag for my first time. On the last night I had a spike stag come in at 30 yards. I thought I placed a great shot on it but he nearly ducked the entire arrow its crazy. I placed a video on youtube just so people to view to see it. My question is do you believe this deer is dead. We looked a found blood for 200 yards but the outfitter told me there is just droplets and the deer will probably live. There was piles all over in the beginning. Now my only problem is my arrow is still in the deer and if you watch this video you will see that the arrow entered a good spot but as he ducked it the arrow went high into he back. I hit is spine and paralyzed him for a second. AS i knocked another arrow he got up and limped away. As you watch the video it looks like I hit my top of lungs (as he was walking away he was coughing and trying to catch his breath) and the artery in the back the way he is leaking from the top of his back and his side. So my question is whats your opinions?

My thoughts on the shot are this..   you entered high on the shoulder a combination of him ducking and the scapula deflecting arrow you never entered the chest cavity..  looks like your arrow exited above the spine..  my thoughts on the temporary paralysis are this.  You broke the scapula causing it to put pressure on the spinal cord once he was kicking the pressure shifted and he was able to move again..  I believe the deer will live.  If you caught the artery he would have been dead and blood would have been spraying..  I do not see evidence of a lung hit wich makes my assessment to me stronger

10 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

My thoughts on the shot are this..   you entered high on the shoulder a combination of him ducking and the scapula deflecting arrow you never entered the chest cavity..  looks like your arrow exited above the spine..  my thoughts on the temporary paralysis are this.  You broke the scapula causing it to put pressure on the spinal cord once he was kicking the pressure shifted and he was able to move again..  I believe the deer will live.  If you caught the artery he would have been dead and blood would have been spraying..  I do not see evidence of a lung hit wich makes my assessment to me stronger

some of the blood was bright red with bubbles in it thats why i was thinking a piece of lung along with the coughing he was doing I was thinking blood inside of the chest cavity. Thanks for the input i see what your saying

Deer dropped down on sound of the shot causing it to be a little high going in and exit was higher coming out, you had  to have caught one lung.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

You hit the spinal process. That's why he had the momentary paralysis. I'm sure he'll live and be fine.

I really wish you would take this off of Youtube. I know this happens and it's a part of hunting but I really don't think we need to advertise our bad shots to the rest of the world.

59 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

You hit the spinal process. That's why he had the momentary paralysis. I'm sure he'll live and be fine.

I really wish you would take this off of Youtube. I know this happens and it's a part of hunting but I really don't think we need to advertise our bad shots to the rest of the world.

I planned on it. I made it just to show some people it's already removed.

1 hour ago, Woodsman416 said:

I hit one there with a 20 gauge slug dropped the deer in its tracks, she got up and ran across a field 1000 yards wide without missing a stride and never to be found, very tough animals when not hit right

Edited by bucky

1 hour ago, Woodsman416 said:

I disagree with you 100%. Bad shots happen and we should talk about it more actually. Everyone makes bad shots and loses deer, and I mean everyone. Anti hunters will hate us regardless, and people on the edge about hunting, should get told every part of it. I’d rather see a guy post a video of a bad shot and say it’s a bad shot, then when I watch these hunting shows and guys make terrible shots and act like they smoked the deer. 

Edited by Zone35killer

Honestly that's why I posted it here. The shot looked great until he basically laid on the ground when the arrow hit him. After seeing that I was devastated. I know its archery hunting and it happens but i was just trying to get everyone's opinion to maybe help with my own confusion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk