IGNORED

Best Muzzleloader ????

Buck154

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

I too, thoroughly clean my guns.... I am guessing you are not shooting blackhorn 209? No fouling of breach plug, so simple to remove (no breach plug grease used) & barrel takes about three passes to be completely clean. If you're not using....try it once. That is all it will take to have you sold on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m shooting pellets now and haven’t shot powder.  I think I might have to start looking into it if it’s going to be easier to clean.  Pellets are a bitch to clean out.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

11 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

I had the tc encore. Its a good 100 yard gun but its very light. 

It also had the option for interchangeable barrels but put a 300 win mag barrel on it and the recoil will hammer you. 

I went with the newer style Remington 700 Ultimate muzzleloader. Its heavy, its longer but accuracy is that of a centerfire rifle. Capable of 200 gr of black powder but Im shooting around 120 gr of Blackhorn 209 with a 250 gr accutip. Leupold scope with detachable rings enables me to remove the scope if I want when flying. Really nice gun once you swallow the $1000 price tag. 20160109_130447.thumb.jpg.744b0aa6d341709ce09a81027554665b.jpg

I was tempted to look at the Rem M/Ls.  I have a lot of Rem guns, and my XCR II in .30-06 I am somewhat disappointed with.  So I’ve been staying away from Rem and testing out other manufacturers.

Is the Rem M/L a good gun for NJ, or better for out of state where you can take long shots?  My T/C Bone Collector seemed to be the right gun for NJ, and you’re right, they are light as heck!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I have a T/C Triumph and the greatest feature to me is the removable breech plug.  Really easy cleaning and can see down the barrel.  I'd imagine many of today's MLs have this feature, but it's one that would be on the top of my list if I were looking for a new one.  Blackhorn 209 all the way, much cleaner to deal with and burns well with the hot 209 primers. :up:

2 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I was tempted to look at the Rem M/Ls.  I have a lot of Rem guns, and my XCR II in .30-06 I am somewhat disappointed with.  So I’ve been staying away from Rem and testing out other manufacturers.

Is the Rem M/L a good gun for NJ, or better for out of state where you can take long shots?  My T/C Bone Collector seemed to be the right gun for NJ, and you’re right, they are light as heck!

This is the One I have . ya see them you shoot em.no problem 

2 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I guess it all depends on the terrain you hunt. Never hurts to have a gun capable of a long shot. 

Only hurts not to. 

www.liftxrentals.com

The smokepoles of today are all great, it's a matter of finding the right loads. 

I have a T/C Triumph, with two Triple 7 Magnum Pellets, and 250gr. Barnes TEz I'm getting great groups at 150 yards....Damn gun is so easy to clean, very nice balance and well made.

If I was going to purchase today it would be between a T/C , and CVA.....I will say CVA has come a long way, with vast improvements, friend has one and using the same load as me it's as accurate as mine

you can't go wrong with a T/C or CVA

here is a good web page to look over various models

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles.html

image.thumb.png.2232bbd706512b69e7f9b4d9dde1075e.png

Edited by BHC

7 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m shooting pellets now and haven’t shot powder.  I think I might have to start looking into it if it’s going to be easier to clean.  Pellets are a bitch to clean out.

I nearly guarantee if you try blackhorn you will be shocked how clean it is. I have yet to know anyone who tried blackhorn and went back to pellets