Lphunsjr

Compound Bow shooting ?

Ruggy the main diffence would be in your follow through being straight in line when you break from the shot .

which at times can make a huge difference in end user accuracy.

ends up being where your willing to do the work .

while Tommy will do a great job setting up everyone’s bow it shouldn’t be the end product . Just the spot where you take over to finish the perfect set up for your own shooting capability.

it isn’t rocket science to take his build to the next level.

.no matter how close he gets a set up . The shooter himself adds variables that change it that can  still need focus

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Ruggy the main diffence would be in your follow through being straight in line when you break from the shot .

which at times can make a huge difference in end user accuracy.

ends up being where your willing to do the work .

while Tommy will do a great job setting up everyone’s bow it shouldn’t be the end product . Just the spot where you take over to finish the perfect set up for your own shooting capability.

it isn’t rocket science to take his build to the next level.

.no matter how close he gets a set up . The shooter himself adds variables that change it that can  still need focus

Thanks Dan. 

Now you got my wheels turning a little bit.  I probably won't mess with the bow at all until the season is over, but maybe I will pick your brain in the spring to see what I can do.  If you think it will improve my shooting, then I'm all for it.  I'd like to think I'm a fairly good shooter, but I will also do whatever I can to be the best at everything I do.  

• Like 2

Thanks Dan. 
Now you got my wheels turning a little bit.  I probably won't mess with the bow at all until the season is over, but maybe I will pick your brain in the spring to see what I can do.  If you think it will improve my shooting, then I'm all for it.  I'd like to think I'm a fairly good shooter, but I will also do whatever I can to be the best at everything I do.  

Great attitude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Lphunsjr said:

I have been practicing w the compound. Get pretty good groups at 20yds. My question is,,,,,how many contact points do you guys use? Im trying 3; Nose to string, kisser to corner of mouth, and I've been putting my knuckle behind my ear as a third,,,,,just feels akward at times. Curious as to others methods and/or suggestions. Thanks in advance

If you knuckles are behind your ear you likely are shooting a draw length at least an inch too long.

Here is a good video to help.  

• Like 1

Anyone....ask yourself this. When I draw the bow, I have to move my head to align peep and or anchor point?

If you do, draw length may be wrong, anchor is incorrect,  and peep is not properly placed.

One of the causes for missed and bad shots from a tree stand. It's not always about bend at the waist. 

Hammer makes a valid point about being.slightly off...a 1/16 inch off with  peep alignment will cause trouble, especially if you try to readjust when shooting at a downward angle. 

Personally. ..when I draw to anchor,  everything lines up...no movement no adjusting.

Edited by Trophy8

46 minutes ago, Trophy8 said:

Anyone....ask yourself this. When I draw the bow, I have to move my head to align peep and or anchor point?

If you do, draw length may be wrong, anchor is incorrect,  and peep is not properly placed.

One of the causes for missed and bad shots from a tree stand. It's not always about bend at the waist. 

Hammer makes a valid point about being.slightly off...a 1/16 inch off with  peep alignment will cause trouble, especially if you try to readjust when shooting at a downward angle. 

Personally. ..when I draw to anchor,  everything lines up...no movement no adjusting.

Everything is in perfect alignment for me.  I menationed above that I can repeat my draw cycle with my eyes closed and its the same every time.  The only subtle difference is that my string touches my nose just slightly right of dead center.  

1 hour ago, Trophy8 said:

Personally. ..when I draw to anchor,  everything lines up...no movement no adjusting

Like I said,,,I believe my draw length is correct, as it was measured at Cheyenne Mountain. I do feel however, I may be forcing the knuckle behind the ear. I am going to try some suggestions on here and the video to see if it is more comfortable, with consistent accuracy.

2 hours ago, njbowhntr said:

Where do you live at?  If you want we can meet up at Clinton or Pequest range to go over your whole set up and form. I have a pro press I can bring with if adjustments need to be made. 

Thanks for the offer, but I am down in Pork Roll area..Toms River

• Like 1

After reading posts and watching the video, I think I am forcing the knuckle behind my ear and then moving my head to get the other 2 points set. Picture shows me more natural and the opening in my hand is at the corner of my jawbone. I'll try this next time I practice. I should've posted pic w arrow, but didn't have time to shoot.

IMG_20181017_185004174.jpg

Hard to tell by photo...but it appears your leaning back, top of the bow seems titled forward....and aghh the open hand. Problems....

Try anchoring with the space between your 1st two knuckles in the corner of your jaw....this will lower your anchor and straighten out the bow so arrow comes off level. Relax the fingers...open hand leads to movement.

• Like 1

Looks like anchor point is low causing top of the bow to lean away from the shooter & open hand big No No , do you have a peep ?? 

4 minutes ago, Nanuk said:

Looks like anchor point is low causing top of the bow to lean away from the shooter & open hand big No No , do you have a peep ?? 

Yes on the peep

Have to add, and his is very important...trying to make changes during the season is not always a good thing. It takes hours of shooting to re train not only your mechanics but the muscles as well.

Head and or body leaning back is usually a sign of improper draw length....over bowed as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Corner of mouth, side of nose, pupil... all line up pretty well for me..
Wouldn't change it for hunting..
Maybe if I shot competition and breaking an x made a difference, but when trying to hit lungs out to 40 yards I wouldn't be too concerned..
More important imo is your torque on the bow hand, as well as back tension and keeping your bow arm through your release elbow in a straight line and following through your release..

20181017_004118.jpeg

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

I haven't seen a sexier picture of a man in one of those ladies magazines talking about the perfect position in a long while :rofl:

Larry, as hammer pointed to earlier about everything being inline is going to give the best performance and accuracy. That being said the most important thing is being repeatable. If you don’t feel comfortable most likely you will make adjustments each time you draw, this is problematic because in the heat of the moment with a big buck infront of you that all goes out the window LOL You need to create a draw/hold/form that is relaxed and repeatable. Ten different guys including the best archers will give you advice on the “mechanics” but each of those mechanics may not fit your frame. One will say you need a low wrist grip, another will say you need a higher elbow position on your release arm etc. sometimes per your frame these mechanics may not be repeatable without constantly thinking about them which again is lost in the heat of the moment. As a hunter, use a a combination that is relaxed and repeatable, not necessarily text book. Look at some of the greatest golfers, they may break all of the rules as tp proper mechanics but they developed something that is repeatable. Under pressure a repeatable form allthough maybe not the perfect text book form, will be the difference between a good shot and a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1