IGNORED

Hunting Winter Clothes

XtremeHunter

Like to ask anyone with their help and experience with very warm hunting clothes for winter: jacket, pants/bib, and gloves are all needed.  I understand Sitka has some of the best stuff out there as far as quality and warmth, however, I am only in college and not looking to break the bank at the moment.  I just want some clothing that has quality and is affordable enough for someone in my situation.  Sorry if this makes it more challenging, thank you all! 

Cabelas makes some good gear as well.  Remember, it's the layers you wear under your outerwear that can be the most important part of your clothing in cold weather.  Today's modern materials makes layering simple and inexpensive when you add several thin, moisture wicking layers below your outerwear.  Each thin layer will trap and hold heat while allowing moisture (sweat) to escape.  

1 hour ago, XtremeHunter said:

I understand Sitka has some of the best stuff out there as far as quality and warmth, however, I am only in college and not looking to break the bank at the moment.  I just want some clothing that has quality and is affordable enough for someone in my situation.  Sorry if this makes it more challenging, thank you all! 

This always works for me long ago in my college days, assuming your family celebrates gift giving at Christmas time.  Ask for your hunting gear as an early present and ask for cold weather gear.  And there are deals to be had, especially on places like Cabela's Bargain Basement or buying lightly used or new but never used gear on sites like this from fellow hunters.  

Edited by Bucksnbows

7 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

This always works for me long ago in my college days, assuming your family celebrates gift giving at Christmas time.  Ask for your hunting gear as an early present and ask for cold weather gear.  And there are deals to be had, especially on places like Cabela's Bargain Basement or buying lightly used or new but never used gear on sites like this from fellow hunters.  

Smart idea.  Even better idea is to ask for Cabelas gift cards or just generic American Express gift cards or even cash. Then you can add up everything that everyone gives you and pick out your own gear.  Ask folks for cold weather hunting gear and you might end up with a pile of Walmart junk.

Walls Insulated Coveralls.  You can get them at Walmart.  Put a down vest on underneath it and some layers and they will keep you as warm as anything, other than a heater body suit.  You are in NJ sitting in a stand, you don't need to spend money Shitka gear. lol    

I go with 

- base layer Merlino wool (long underwear) top and bottom 60-   

-mid layer warm  fleece top  80-

-top layer Predator coveralls and jacket fall grey

-turtle neck with adhesive warmer  on neck

- fleece gloves/ mittens with warmers in pocket

-pull over long sock for neck (Remington) love this thing !

- 2 pairs of wool socks then adhesive toe warmers

Bring a thermos with hot cocoa or chicken noodle soup, if you are sitting in extreme cold and take a hot sip of soup or tea your body immediately gets warm!

Eat food and drink water or Gatorade, you must stay hydrated and belly full to stay warm , very important!

NO COTTON, cotton kills ( well at least out in Colorado) I’ve winter hunted out in Colorado and skied that’s a different kind of cold! If it is a real windy day I bring a soft shell jacket.

I walk to my stands about 2 miles so I wear light pants and a sweatshirt and hiking boots to get there then I get completely undressed and dry and get dressed one layer at a time and then put on my rubber boots before I get up into my tree . I back pack all my stuff in, I do not hike to my stand in my boots because you will get sweat in them and you will get cold later.

A screw in umbrella that wraps around the tree so you can sit all day in the rain, I’ve been very successful hunting in the rain, best time to hunt, deer always moving and most guys stay home when it rains!

- Most important thing is tell people WHERE you are hunting and WHEN you should be back !

- Most important thing is a whistle and a compass and know how to use a compass ! If you ever get hurt in the woods and are immobile you will quickly lose your voice yelling and it won’t carry to far anyway, a whistle cans be heard miles away, universal distress signal is 3-short blast, good luck and more importantly HAVE FUN !

One thing that I'll say that is a bit contrarian to most persons modern logic is about cotton. Wearing cotton is just fine PROVIDED it's not wet. I'd have no issue wearing my baselayers and a light top/bottom on walk to my stand and then adding cotton layers on top. Again, as long as it doesn't get wet, it's warm and cheap to wear. In my first few years hunting, I'd do this and then add an inexpensive set of coveralls on top. Worked fine.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, XtremeHunter said:

Like to ask anyone with their help and experience with very warm hunting clothes for winter: jacket, pants/bib, and gloves are all needed.  I understand Sitka has some of the best stuff out there as far as quality and warmth, however, I am only in college and not looking to break the bank at the moment.  I just want some clothing that has quality and is affordable enough for someone in my situation.  Sorry if this makes it more challenging, thank you all! 

Where are you located? I have some stuff in excellent condition I was going to get rid of end of year but maybe I’ll look now and see if I can cut you a fair price. And what size do you need. 

3 hours ago, 1190ftalt said:

I go with 

- base layer Merlino wool (long underwear) top and bottom 60-   

-mid layer warm  fleece top  80-

-top layer Predator coveralls and jacket fall grey

-turtle neck with adhesive warmer  on neck

- fleece gloves/ mittens with warmers in pocket

-pull over long sock for neck (Remington) love this thing !

- 2 pairs of wool socks then adhesive toe warmers

Bring a thermos with hot cocoa or chicken noodle soup, if you are sitting in extreme cold and take a hot sip of soup or tea your body immediately gets warm!

Eat food and drink water or Gatorade, you must stay hydrated and belly full to stay warm , very important!

NO COTTON, cotton kills ( well at least out in Colorado) I’ve winter hunted out in Colorado and skied that’s a different kind of cold! If it is a real windy day I bring a soft shell jacket.

I walk to my stands about 2 miles so I wear light pants and a sweatshirt and hiking boots to get there then I get completely undressed and dry and get dressed one layer at a time and then put on my rubber boots before I get up into my tree . I back pack all my stuff in, I do not hike to my stand in my boots because you will get sweat in them and you will get cold later.

A screw in umbrella that wraps around the tree so you can sit all day in the rain, I’ve been very successful hunting in the rain, best time to hunt, deer always moving and most guys stay home when it rains!

- Most important thing is tell people WHERE you are hunting and WHEN you should be back !

- Most important thing is a whistle and a compass and know how to use a compass ! If you ever get hurt in the woods and are immobile you will quickly lose your voice yelling and it won’t carry to far anyway, a whistle cans be heard miles away, universal distress signal is 3-short blast, good luck and more importantly HAVE FUN !

He said he was a collage kid on limited budget:shock:

BTW that Gatorade is the worse thing you could drink . Its loaded with sugar. :happywave: