IGNORED

New lamp post

Swamp_Yankee

The bears (speaking of, a large sow was taken on the neighboring farm yesterday) might be getting ready to hibernate this time of year, but I'm just coming alive after this long, hot, rainforest of a summer we've had.  This had to be the most awful July, August, and September in my memory for sure.  In any event, its finally stopped raining (for now) and the temperatures are perfect for outside work-I took out the old apple tree that the 2nd Nor'Easter of the year killed with heavy snow.  Luckily it was a reasonably cool day but the ground was still so wet that the tractor tore the hell out of everything but a rake and some grass seed took care of it:

UeojgNm.jpg

With the apple tree gone (saved all of the wood for smoking) I've been attacking the old sheep pen:

p1WllrS.jpg

Lots to do there before we start putting up the chicken coop that we never got to this past spring.  This weekend I took on a simpler project.  It's dark out here-especially since we had the tree come down on the barn which took out the light on the front.  We had a small light at the end of the stone wall but it wasn't doing a whole lot.  I had also found a nice old lamp housing that I wanted to reuse.  Presumably it had been an outdoor light at one time.  A little wiring (I added a GFCI to the base as well) inside an old porch column and it was looking pretty good, but it needed a sturdy base:

E9fAGVF.jpg

A little form work:

BzJvdZj.jpg

N8STQRq.jpg

zT7dJ1C.jpg

eGEYv7S.jpg

Of course when I got done I realized the damn thing was tilted forward a bit.  Ratchet straps to the rescue:

WCLZ6ze.jpg

Got it (mostly) painted before dark.  The lamp is a 500W (100W power consumption) equivalent and throws a decent amount of light up and down the road:

VoInV7e.jpg  

I'll post a picture once it's fully painted sans ratchet strap.  One of these days I'll pair it with a smart lighting system so that it will come on as we're coming down the road.

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

(Almost) done:

8BRyP3C.jpg

wPOnwlP.jpg

I've started gathering the flattest rocks I can find by picking through the stonerows and plan to face off the concrete pedestal with them.  Luckily there are really good polyurethane glues for this these days.  I can just stick the stones to the concrete and then grout in some mortar after the fact to make it look like real stonework.  

In other news-more of the joys of country living:

aq2vFZT.jpg

I changed the air filter in my truck for the first time since I bought it in April.  My guess is they moved in once the temperature dropped about a week ago.  Industrious little buggers...

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

12 hours ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

(Almost) done:

8BRyP3C.jpg

wPOnwlP.jpg

I've started gathering the flattest rocks I can find by picking through the stonerows and plan to face off the concrete pedestal with them.  Luckily there are really good polyurethane glues for this these days.  I can just stick the stones to the concrete and then grout in some mortar after the fact to make it look like real stonework.  

In other news-more of the joys of country living:

aq2vFZT.jpg

I changed the air filter in my truck for the first time since I bought it in April.  My guess is they moved in once the temperature dropped about a week ago.  Industrious little buggers...

Post looks good. 

Mice on the other hand can do some serious damage. 

Ive had them eat the wiring on my quads and generators , tractor and completely destroyed the wiring and a control board on $15000 piece of construction equipment. 

www.liftxrentals.com