birdshotnj

Not a lot of bear posts

While the numbers are drastically down this year, I was still expecting more bear down posts. I do believe the number of bears taken so far this week will double on friday and Saturday. It's almost perfect conditions. I will try to do my part one last time tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

I had 4 particular baits all miles apart from each other that had between 4-10 different bears each.  I’ve seen more bear this year than last.  All my spots went just about dead about a week ago.  I hunt were there is very little if any pressure that I know of.  I think the huge amount of recent natural foods (mostly acorns) and this ridiculous hot and humid weather contributed to there disappearance.  Plus, a lot of guys (and gals) I hunt with are holding out for particular bears.  Many have passed on opportunities.  If the season was held two weeks ago, I believe the harvest numbers would have tripled.  Let’s hope the cooler weather tomorrow and Saturday gets a few more moving.  Bear numbers are definitely down some but a lot more kills are needed to get this population to where it should be.  

• Like 2

I have had about the best baits you can use go totally untouched the last two weeks.

There is an insane amount of acorns and each rain the amount on the ground triples,

IMO all this rain is keeping those luring smells to carry as far as normal into the woods.

Hoping this quick change of air the next few days makes a change.

I will be freshening up the baits tomorrow and hoping for the best saturday

• Like 1

I was fortunate to get my bear down at 8:01 am Monday morning and my buddy got his at 9:30 am on the same day. Everyone I talk to said the bear activity dropped off a week before the season.  Natural food is the main cause in my opinion. There is still a ton of bears out there . 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Like I said in last post this happens every year I am waiting to see what happens in December good luck to all Friday and Saturday

• Like 1

I will post pictures tomorrow.....guaranteed. Damn camera....just Checked camera, batteries dead. Do this every year....figure lasts years batteries will be good

Edited by nmc02
Add info
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ralphie9n said:

I was fortunate to get my bear down at 8:01 am Monday morning and my buddy got his at 9:30 am on the same day. Everyone I talk to said the bear activity dropped off a week before the season.  Natural food is the main cause in my opinion. There is still a ton of bears out there . 

Acorns raining everywhere

My buddy got one Tuesday, on Wednesday I had 8 bears show up, I was waiting for the one I saw who was huge.  Saturday will be a different story if they show up! The numbers need to be reduced bad !

10 hours ago, Ryanm said:

Don’t have a spot or I’d be hunting them

My public spot got swept out from underneath me. Didn't have anywhere else to go. 

• Like 1