LPJR

Hen of the Woods mushrooms

A good friend asked me if I wanted some Hen of the Woods mushrooms. He has picked them since he was a kid having been taught by his grandfather many years ago. I met up with him yesterday and he gave me at least 25 lbs of fresh ones. Since I was off today, I cleaned and made some with garlic and oil. They are absolutely delicious..Also froze some to bring to deer camp in December. Some pics below. My stove looked like my long passed Uncle Mimi's stove who used to enjoy them as well. 

20181009_222141.jpg

20181010_123142.jpg

20181010_124229.jpg

Edited by LPJR
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

Lou they look delicious. I’ve never heard of them or tasted them but I’m sure they would make a delicious mushroom soup

• Like 1

They look great !! I never had them but they sure do look good

• Like 1

Hens/Woods are my absolute favorite, next time you fry them in olive oil put over linguini, A little hot pepper and drizzle a little more oil!

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Man that's a lot of fungus. With all this wet weather i bet there is a lot out there. I have more mushrooms growing in my yard than grass now :shock:(non edible)

Edited by Buck154
  • Like 1

That is one mushroom that I have never positively ID'd in the woods and not for lack of trying.

They are really good eating and fantastic pickled in oil too the guy running Rosa Luca in Bethlehem township (now sadly passed away) used to sell them pickled and I would buy all I could every time - they were that good.

Enjoy them brother!

• Like 1

I've been picking them the last 2 weeks.   I hit the mother load last Saturday.  Spent 5 hours cleaning and vacuum sealing them Saturday afternoon.

Good eats!

• Like 3

I have seen this and chicken  of the woods but I am always to afraid to roll the dice.

It does look great though.

Edited by mikejd
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I found this big hen today on my lunch break.  I gave it to the guy holding it since I already filled up a shopping bag full of them.   Probably one of the biggest hens I ever found.

bighen.jpg

Edited by SxSshooter
  • Like 2
  • Winner 1