buckhound

something I do not agree with trump

more ethanol is not the answer we need to get away from it all together....

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/trump-expected-to-hike-ethanol-limit-in-gasoline

Trump to lift ethanol restrictions, could lower gas prices

President Trump will revise fuel guidelines to allow for the year-round sale of gasoline with higher concentrations of ethanol, Republican senators announced on Tuesday.

The action addresses a rule the Environmental Protection Agency had in place preventing the sale of so-called E15 fuel, which contains 15 percent ethanol and 85 percent gasoline, between June 1 and Sept. 15. The purpose was to prevent air pollution and curb dependence on foreign petroleum, but the ban has stopped some retailers from selling E15 at all because of the need to change out pumps.

Gasoline generally contains about 10 percent ethanol. Allowing for the year-round sale of E15 will give farmers more avenues to sell corn, which could bolster revenue especially when prices are low.

Lifting the ban has been opposed by oil refiners.

Since ethanol is cheaper to produce than gasoline, for some motorists it could bring down prices at the pump, which were at about $2.91 per gallon as of Tuesday afternoon, according to AAA. Last year at this time, the average price of gas was only $2.49.

The announcement comes as farmers have been voicing concerns over a growing trade war between the White House and China, which has featured tit-for-tat tariff implementation. It also comes before midterm elections, where Republicans hope farm communities will remain a key base of support.

The president is headed to an event in Iowa Tuesday night, where he is expected to address the ethanol regulations. Nearly 40 percent of the corn grown in the state is used for ethanol production, while Iowa corn is responsible for creating nearly 30 percent of U.S. ethanol.

As a farmer, who has seen corn prices collapse I'm in support of it.

That stuff reeks havoc on rubber fuel lines especially in older cars. I don't agree with it either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I would be interested to see why you don't agree with it.

Less BTU's which means less fuel economy. My mom gets ethanol free gas for her farm and every time that I fill up truck for the ride back to NJ, I get another 2 to 3 more miles per gallon.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

it's hell on small engines and there is a reason its not allowed in airplane fuel... 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

Less BTU's which means less fuel economy. My mom gets ethanol free gas for her farm and every time that I fill up truck for the ride back to NJ, I get another 2 to 3 more miles per gallon.

i seen a study a year or so ago that said if ethanol was removed we would get 2-5 mpg more in our vehicles maybe more in some and that may actually extend the life of the engine...I know several guys that go to the local airport and buy ethanol free gas for there equiptment and fill up the truck they say exactly what you say better  gas mileage...

Edited by buckhound
  • Like 1

I think he wants to economically strangle Russia and Iran. Both are gas stations that hate the US.  Energy Independence is a good thing if you have to go to war.  Plus, he made a promise to Iowa farmers he would help  them out. That Sen. Grassely, Iowa Boy, worked hard to get Kavanaugh to the S. court. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

I am not sure, and I will repeat NOT sure, this saves you any money and the reason is the ethanol fuel is cheaper.
If you get 2.5 MPg more, then on a 16 gallon tank you get 40 more miles. Let say your car is 20 MPG car. If it is you save 2 gallons at $2.50 or $5 on a single fill up. So what you are saving is $5/16gal or $0.31/Gal.

The question is how much cheaper is Ethanol fuel? If it cheaper by more than $0.31/Gall than you are not saving anything. I do not know, the article is not helping,  but it is not as simple as saying you get better fuel economy so it must be cheaper.

There are many ways to save $$ on gas.  Repeal the gas tax to start with.   Ethanol has a lot, a lot of issues.  People really need to educate themselves before forming an opinion. 

56 minutes ago, Zipper said:

As a farmer, who has seen corn prices collapse I'm in support of it.

What about the collapse in other agricultural commodity prices?  Look at the price of wheat since 2008, a complete and total collapse that hurt a lot of farmers.   Look at milk prices since 2014.  Trade policy is more impactful than the mandated policy of having ethanol in our fuel. 

44 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I am not sure, and I will repeat NOT sure, this saves you any money and the reason is the ethanol fuel is cheaper.
If you get 2.5 MPg more, then on a 16 gallon tank you get 40 more miles. Let say your car is 20 MPG car. If it is you save 2 gallons at $2.50 or $5 on a single fill up. So what you are saving is $5/16gal or $0.31/Gal.

The question is how much cheaper is Ethanol fuel? If it cheaper by more than $0.31/Gall than you are not saving anything. I do not know, the article is not helping,  but it is not as simple as saying you get better fuel economy so it must be cheaper.

I am not saying it is saving you money i just said you get better gas mileage with out it and small eningines run better with out it there is a reason its not put in airplane fuel..

The imposition of E15 upon us may help agribusiness temporarily.  It will shorten the life of older vehicles. 

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018/10/10/reader-question-more-ethanol/

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2012/10/24/stop-e15-petition/

"Ethanol increases water formation that can then create formic acid and corrode metals, plastics and rubber. Older cars and certain high performance specialty parts are not constructed with corrosion-resistant materials or able to tolerate the higher temperatures at which E15 may burn."

my note....fuel lines, tanks, o-rings, gaskets, ect. may need to be changed in order to secure the survival of older vehicles.  Due to the higher temperatures that E15 may burn at, computers of older vehicles may need to be reprogrammed.  The purpose of this is to allow the introduction of more inert gas from EGR systems to cool down engine burn temperatures.  Failure to introduce the correct inert gas blend will result in head gasket destruction by burning across the head gasket and through its fire ring.

".....millions more boats, lawnmowers and other gas-powered engine products." will suffer damage and early trips to the scrapheap.

I know he's doing it for the farmers....but I hate ethanol. I used to design the loading racks that added it to the tanker trucks, mixing with gasoline. The storage tanks would be covered in a black algae. The ethanol attracts moisture which turns the ethanol acidic and that's what eats the rubber seals in older engines.