What’s a good head lamp you guys use, one that won’t turn on while in your backpack.  Needs to be water proof also. Need to get a new one. Thanks. 

I have an older Petzl lamp. The equivalent would be the TacTikka +. Great little lamp. The kids all have a similar version, but Cabela’s brand. 

I am a fan of the store REI if you have one near you. Family and I drive 50 minutes to get to the closest one to us. But well worth it.   Very well stocked and you can demo everything in store. 

Edited by njbowhntr

Yeah good thread cause i was thinking of getting a good one too!!!!!

I typically use my predator scan light as a head lamp whenever it isn't predator season. I use wicked brand predator lights and the head lamp package I have came with red, green, and super white interchangeable LEDs. Adjustable focus beam, rheostat adjustment for desired brightness, these things seriously are WICKED. I cringed at the wicked high price tag (pun intended) but after owning one I will never NOT have one. Best dollar I have ever spent on hunting gear.

• Like 1

I have a bucket of headlamps.  The one I like the best for hunting has a red and green light.  I use the red light to walk in early AM and not lose night vision.  Very handy.  And if you can, put lithium batteries into your headlamp.  Should last for a season or two.

the market is flooded with them - you can get good ones in Home Depot.   Go by the "lumens" for brightness compare. I like green for walking in dark in mornings, it really lights up the trail tacks and doesn't seem to spook deer as much as bright white.

My favorite headlamp is a Zebralight -- I have an older version -- single AA battery, 3 modes - low, med,  high

It's all Flood light -- lights up everything within about 20 feet -- no "hot" spot 

NO BETTER THAN THE BLACK DIAMOND ICON!!!!!! Lifetime warranty, dims, super bright for tracking, & durable. 

Watch the YouTube video on the headlamp.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/headlamps-and-lanterns/icon-headlamp-BD620629BLAKALL1.html#cgid=lighting&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxvbdBRC0ARIsAKmec9bpb9PEjO0mMNHYFwxTJR0vPPRsthVL2AmV5dWxKG0kKzlIon1ABhgaAvTVEALw_wcB&rmsrc=1&start=5

Edited by nmc02
Add info

Surefire Maximus. IMO one of the best on the market. It's expensive ($200+) but it's great. Rechargeable, bright as hell, but adjustable to very dim.. It has an easy dial to control brightness. 

I bought a super expensive black diamond headlamp a couple years back, and the $30 cabelas headlamp they no longer make is still my go-to

I just lost my Energizer HD which I bought at Home Depot. Red was OK, but white was 300 lumens.

JUst picked up a new one at HD. Its a Coastal 415 lumens and has real good red/night vision lamps for $29