BowhunterNJ

Updated advertisements on the site, ROUND 2!

8 hours ago, Rusty said:

We should take a poll about all the "extras" that clutter up the main page.  If guys don't care about the countdowns and rankings, etc.  that space could be freed up for advertising and there wouldn't be so much "stuff" filling up the page.

Speaking for myself, the only thing I look at are the posts.  All the other stuff is just clutter that makes the page less user friendly.  

I agree with you. Although they're pretty cool, we don't really need the countdowns 

4 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I'm suprised so many of you use pc anymore.. thought they were obsolete lol.

I use the tapatalk app so I guess I'm used to ads.

Highly reccomended for phone users. Easiest to navigate imo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I hunted with your grandpa we communicated face to face, miss him and those times when life was simpler!

30 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

How about this "itty bitty" banner on top, on my Iphone. It takes out 1/4 of the entire page, if not more

168243194_puaM5vAH.png

There's a sidebar there now so ads aren't in between posts. 

Who ever mentioned it - I agree - get rid of all that "fluff" on the right side - it takes about 1/4 (maybe a little less, but still) of the width of the screen. I think the vast majority of people on here just look at the messages on the forums - that stuff on the right I personally never look at. It would be nice to reclaim that space for the forum posts. 

And I still use a computer to view the site - I'm on the computer 24/7 and I don't own a smart phone so... there's that.

BTW: about that floating banner on the bottom - I just saw something but I forgot to take a screen snapshot of it to show it...

If you are on a forum, and some new posts come in, the website has a nice feature that pops up a message on the bottom that shows things like "2 new replies (click to show)".

Well, that nice popup notification gets hidden underneath this new floating ad banner at the bottom. So there is at least one website feature that is getting altered/obscured due to the new ad system.

The next time I see it happen, I'll take a snapshot of the screen - I need to be on a thread when someone posts a new message to it to see it (actually, I think it just happened - I heard the "bloop" sound when that notification comes up but I don't see it :)).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

Who ever mentioned it - I agree - get rid of all that "fluff" on the right side - it takes about 1/4 (maybe a little less, but still) of the width of the screen. I think the vast majority of people on here just look at the messages on the forums - that stuff on the right I personally never look at. It would be nice to reclaim that space for the forum posts. 

And I still use a computer to view the site - I'm on the computer 24/7 and I don't own a smart phone so... there's that.

So the crux of this results in two options:

1) NO sidebar and full width for just topics (i.e. no scoreboards, no countdowns, no birthday reminders, no calendar event reminders, etc) WOULD require ads going between topic replies (which really agitated a bunch of members)

2) WITH sidebar, which WOULD NOT require ads going between topic replies as ads could then go in the sidebar.

The no sidebar approach really vanillas down the forum and makes it difficult for ad placement.  The goal with this second round was to give the members the "middle" (really the left and middle) while using the right and very bottom for ads.

mazz brings up a good point that the sticky ad on the bottom blocks the notification to load more replies, I'll have to table that with the ad provider.

If the options are "ads in middle of replies - but no right sidebar" or "ads on the right - show right sidebar" - I vote the latter :) I'd rather have ads on the right than in the middle of the replies.

• Agree 2

I access this site on my PC an Laptop. Since the upgrade my PC hangs up and the only remedy is to close the site a reenter. On the Laptop I can not reply to posts. WHen I try the computer stops working and I get a message " NJWOODS&W is not responding due to a long-running script. Here too I have to back out but can no longer reply to posts. This reply is from yet another computer and during typing I had the same message about long running script but when I stopped it it allowed me to finis.

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I access this site on my PC an Laptop. Since the upgrade my PC hangs up and the only remedy is to close the site a reenter. On the Laptop I can not reply to posts. WHen I try the computer stops working and I get a message " NJWOODS&W is not responding due to a long-running script. Here too I have to back out but can no longer reply to posts. This reply is from yet another computer and during typing I had the same message about long running script but when I stopped it it allowed me to finis.

Did the error message identify what the long running script was?

So I use an ad blocker in Chrome. I turn it off for this site so I can see the store or sponsor ad's. I like the fact the sponsors on this site do help support the membership.

I don't like the other ad pop ups.

15$ for a yearly membership is not bad.  Please don't sell out to the company that bought nj hunter, Archery Talk, and hunting PA. I stopped going to those sites because it took away from the friendliness. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

So I use an ad blocker in Chrome. I turn it off for this site so I can see the store or sponsor ad's. I like the fact the sponsors on this site do help support the membership.

I don't like the other ad pop ups.

15$ for a yearly membership is not bad.  Please don't sell out to the company that bought nj hunter, Archery Talk, and hunting PA. I stopped going to those sites because it took away from the friendliness. 

Selling out won't ever happen.  I agree 100% on those other sites, I used to visit both NJH and AT very often.  Both have turned into the same crap with the the same owning company!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Did the error message identify what the long running script was?

No, it did not.

9E658DFB-3FF4-471E-AF46-61F3ED924567.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic