IGNORED

Old School Bear/Deer hunting

Farmingdales Finest

Since I didn't get to get out to Colorado as planned this year for an archery elk hunt due to wildfires.  I have a bunch of backpacking equipment that didn't get used other than training hikes so I am going old school solo hunting this weekend in the Gap.

The plan is to leave home Friday morning early and hike along the Appalachian Trail and still hunt places that look good for deer and bear.  I will be carrying my camp on my back so no treestands.  

Good luck to all those that will be out this week!

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

4 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Rick you should have did that for today! opening day best chance. Good luck. If you want someone to go with you call Jerry. I know he will go do that plus if you get one it will be better to get it out.

I know I should have been there for today but it was kind a spur of the moment thing.  Also when I decided this yesterday I saw the weather for the weekend is going to be almost 20 degrees cooler.  So that should be better for me because I sweat like a pig and the cooler temps should be better for deer movement.

Edited by Farmingdales Finest

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

4 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

Sounds like a good time good luck and be safe take lots of pictures for us

Plan on it.  I jut got a Gopro too but have to figure out how to synch it up with my phone,  Turning it on manually it makes really loud beeps but apparently with a remote from the phone its silent.  I think these tech companies do shit like this just to do it. There should be a manual way of doing it or if not silent would be better for most conditions.

Edited by Farmingdales Finest

12 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

Plan on it.  I jut got a Gopro too but have to figure out how to synch it up with my phone,  Turning it on manually it makes really loud beeps but apparently with a remote from the phone its silent.  I think these tech companies do shit like this just to do it. There should be a manual way of doing it or if not silent would be better for most conditions.

ion camera pro

Check these out. I heard these are pretty good. Only vibrate when turn on. I'm thinking about getting one

Plans got changed on the fly while at the Gap yesterday but still had a great time. I planned on parking on Old Mine Rd and hiking up to the AT but it turned out you aren’t allowed to park overnight at the trailhead I wanted to go in. The sign also said the trail was closed due to the storms back in March which surprised me further.

I drove farther down the road and came upon a pull off area and parked. I got onX maps on my phone and never needed to have a map downloaded in NJ before but once I got about 1/4 mike from the truck and went to look and see the best route to the top the Topo feature didn’t work. [emoji22]. So I made the best of it and scouted the bench I was on and found a saddle that came down through a ridge that had a bunch of trails converging over an acorn flat.

After 3 hours and only seeing a few squirrels I got the itch to move. I decided to move down the base of the ridge until I found a creek emptying into a swampy area. Almost as soon as I stepped into the swampy spot I jumped a big body buck about 40 yards away. I moved slower down the hill and found two trails that came off the ridge into the swamp. There were some raspberry bushes and a bunch of oaks dropping acorns.

About 15 minutes before dark I hear something above me and see two does at the top of the trail. If they take the right trail they come down to me at about 30 yards unfortunately they went down the left side and came out at about 70 yards and fed farther down the ridge until I lost sight.

I pack up and start following the ridge down the hill to go to the truck. As I am walking I come upon a giant abandoned barn/garage. In it were two super old cars and farming apparatus I can’t identify. I figure there is going to be a road down to the main road. Nope! It was completely isolated. Very weird and spooky. I was thinking I was glad it was Friday the 12th and not the 13th because I was fully expecting Jason to jump out and slash me to death. 🤣🤣. Once I realize there is no road down I come up to some of the thickest briars I have seen in my life. All I can say is tank god I had trekking poles with me because I was able to push a lot of the stickers away. They also saved me twice from falling on my face when I had to climb down two banks and cross two streams.

Once I get down to the road I hike about 1/2 mile to my truck and call my wife to let her know I will be home later after I make some dinner at the truck. I pulled out my backpacking stove and made a mountain house beef stroganoff and some hot chocolate. So when dinner is cooked I pull out my stool and it promptly breaks as I sit on it and fall backwards into a creek from all the rain runoff.

As I am driving out I had two raccoons waddle so slowly accross the road I had to stop and sit for almost a full minute. I go about another minute and the same thing happens with a opossum. Then finally about two miles farther I see the glint of an animals eyes low on the road. I think it’s another raccoon or opossum. But it turned out to be a bear! It was laying in the road eating a road killed squirrel! As the lights shine brighter I see it jump up and run up the hill!

All in all a pretty good day!
IMG_1112.HEIC

IMG_1113.HEIC

IMG_1124.HEIC

IMG_1127.HEIC

IMG_1132.HEIC

IMG_1133.HEIC

IMG_1134.HEIC

IMG_1136.HEIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok anyone have any idea how to post pictures to this site?  I have never had any issue posting them on any other site using Tapatalk.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:18 AM, Farmingdales Finest said:

Since I didn't get to get out to Colorado as planned this year for an archery elk hunt due to wildfires.  I have a bunch of backpacking equipment that didn't get used other than training hikes so I am going old school solo hunting this weekend in the Gap.

The plan is to leave home Friday morning early and hike along the Appalachian Trail and still hunt places that look good for deer and bear.  I will be carrying my camp on my back so no treestands.  

Good luck to all those that will be out this week!

Do the rocks of. En tonington vt the long trail 

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt