IGNORED

Too Hot To Hunt, So Let's Crab!

Zipper

Still not feeling the need to hunt with this hot weather. Took out my friend Bob for a late morning crab blast! Beautiful summer like day, 80 degrees and light wind made for a perfect day on the water. 2 bushels of big rusty males in a couple hours. For those who want big full crabs,  get out there!

20181002_162222.jpg

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

Only 3 females all trip. I moved up river to lower salinity and found the males. Last time out it was 70/30 female to male. Although taking females without egg mass is legal, and mature sooks already dropped their eggs, I don't like taking them. However, the commercial dredgers will take millions of them this winter to be canned.

6 minutes ago, Zipper said:

Only 3 females all trip. I moved up river to lower salinity and found the males. Last time out it was 70/30 female to male. Although taking females without egg mass is legal, and mature sooks already dropped their eggs, I don't like taking them. However, the commercial dredgers will take millions of them this winter to be canned.

Same here zipper. I try to never keep them. Not as much meat either.  At least it seems like that.  Had to keep some last trip or it would have been a lean hall.  Couldn’t find many males 

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Way to go Mikey - you are officially deemed crabmaster. 

I bet you could catch crabs just about anywhere!

Jack,  it's alot of fun and in between fishing transitions it nice to bring home some delicious meals!

2 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Awesome pile of crab :up:. Lots of picking but a lot of meat too. What do you do Mike with that many? Cook all and clean the meat out and freeze?

I share crabs with my family of course friends so most are eaten fresh.  The best way I know of to freeze, is to cook your crabs, pick the meat, place  in zip lock freezer bags cover meat in whole milk, tightly seal bag getting all air out, then freeze. The milk is a protein and will protect the full flavor of the crab. I have cleaned them alive, and stored them uncooked in vacuum sealed bags. They kept fairly well for sauce and soup, but the milk trick is better for fresher tasting crab!

Edited by Zipper