IGNORED

Xbow question

Liv2huntnfish123

So I just picked up my first crossbow, a Wicked Ridge invader x4.  Fell in love already just shooting it in my backyard..  My question is: What is everyone’s choice on decocking the Xbow in the feild when needed? Are the decocking bolts worth it? Just buy a target?  Oh and if decocking bolt , does it matter for tenpoint/ wicked ridge becuase of the Omni nock? Also does the length of the bolt matter for this?

Edited by Liv2huntnfish123

1 minute ago, Merkel said:

I keep a yellow jacket discharge bag and an older arrow in my SUV. It works for me.

That’s what I was truly considering. They make this Omni nock biodegradable decocking bolt that you can apparently just shoot and leave. I say it’s just a money maker becuase you always have to buy more.

I made a small discharge bag out of one of the white bags used for corn. Stuffed it tightly with old rags, towels, & shirts and zipped tied the top. 

I discharge with a bolt and field tip each time when out of the woods and back at the car into the bag. Very efficient and works great. 

I had an old Horton decocking bolt that I used for 5 years. It was solid fiberglass and indestructible. I shot it into some soft dirt and can't find it any more. Gotta see if I can scrounge up another. All other decocking gadgets did not last.  For now am shooting a field point into a bag target.

Don't worry about the Omni nock. Just use the moon nock and load it properly. I had a couple of TP's with Omni nock requirements and used moons many times. Omni's are good because you can't load them incorrectly.  

Edited by archer36

2 minutes ago, Liv2huntnfish123 said:

That’s what I was truly considering. They make this Omni nock biodegradable decocking bolt that you can apparently just shoot and leave. I say it’s just a money maker becuase you always have to buy more.

I think you’re right.  Ten Point biodegradable bolts are $10 for 6. I bought the small yellow jacket discharge bag on sale for $15 and had an older bolt...... comparatively, biodegradables seem like a rip off. However, I guess you could make the argument for the price of convenience.....

2 minutes ago, Merkel said:

I think you’re right.  Ten Point biodegradable bolts are $10 for 6. I bought the small yellow jacket discharge bag on sale for $15 and had an older bolt...... comparatively, biodegradables seem like a rip off. However, I guess you could make the argument for the price of convenience.....

I discharge my crossbow about 59 times a season. That would be very expensive.