IGNORED

FID through State Police questions

Swamp_Yankee

We'll be in the new house a year in November and I just got around to updating my driver's license :shock:  Now it's time to update my FID.  I've heard things have changed a bit since I got my initial FID (20+ years ago) and did an address change (10 years ago), plus both of those went through local police departments.  A couple of questions:

• Does it matter which station you apply to?  I live in Bethlehem Township so "our" station is Perryville, but Washington station is closer to where I work.  Can I go to either one?
  • Are fingerprints required for an address change?  I honestly can't remember if I did them for my last address change.
  • Anyone have experience with either of these stations as far as time?

For my initial FID and subsequent address change, both times I lived in a town with a small rural PD and I never waited more than 30 days.  Are the State Police generally the same, better, worse?

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

You have to file with the station in which where you live. The process is changing with a soft date of November 1. Everything will be able to be submitted online, for a fee of course.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

5 minutes ago, Slayer1962 said:

If it makes the process easier and quicker i am all in for an increase in fees

Not me. Not until they also "increase the fees" on the permits they require journalists and newspaper editors to possess that allow them to exercise their constitutional rights. 

I pay enough money to my state and local governments - the least they can do is tell me in a timely manner that I'm allowed to exercise my 2A rights. It's bad enough I actually have to have a piece of paper before I can do so.

So I dropped by the Perryville Barracks and they walked me through the process-two different hard copy forms (sp-066 and sts-033) plus form 212A which has to be done online (authorizes a re-check of my on-file fingerprints) which I completed.  I emailed the Trooper who handles my town to let him know that everything was completed a week ago and haven't heard back yet.  I know that these guys are busy with many other things and quite frankly, the administrative burden that NJ's FID process puts on police officers is absurd, but I'm really hoping that the process through State Police doesn't end up being a black hole.  The last time I did this through a local PD it only took 21 days.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

1 hour ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

So I dropped by the Perryville Barracks and they walked me through the process-two different hard copy forms (sp-066 and sts-033) plus form 212A which has to be done online (authorizes a re-check of my on-file fingerprints) which I completed.  I emailed the Trooper who handles my town to let him know that everything was completed a week ago and haven't heard back yet.  I know that these guys are busy with many other things and quite frankly, the administrative burden that NJ's FID process puts on police officers is absurd, but I'm really hoping that the process through State Police doesn't end up being a black hole.  The last time I did this through a local PD it only took 21 days.  

When I got my FID originally, took my town's PD about 7 months ... that's right - *months*. No lie. This was back in 1999.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:46 PM, Swamp_Yankee said:

We'll be in the new house a year in November and I just got around to updating my driver's license :shock:  Now it's time to update my FID.  I've heard things have changed a bit since I got my initial FID (20+ years ago) and did an address change (10 years ago), plus both of those went through local police departments.  A couple of questions:

• Does it matter which station you apply to?  I live in Bethlehem Township so "our" station is Perryville, but Washington station is closer to where I work.  Can I go to either one?
  • Are fingerprints required for an address change?  I honestly can't remember if I did them for my last address change.
  • Anyone have experience with either of these stations as far as time?

For my initial FID and subsequent address change, both times I lived in a town with a small rural PD and I never waited more than 30 days.  Are the State Police generally the same, better, worse?

Perryville. I lived in Asbury, Bethlehem Twp, and I had to do all my FID and handgun permits through them when I was there. The trooper there only does them certain times on certain days so Id give a call to see when hell be there. They electronic fingerprint right there. They also use to just have a sticker that went on the back of the FID card but that may have changed.

1 hour ago, rgw said:

You saying you can't do it through local pd any more, it has to be through NJSP?

Bethlehem Twp. uses the State Police.  They do not have their own force.  That is common in some NJ counties including parts of Hunterdon and Warren, for example.  You go to your local PD and sometimes that is State Police.