IGNORED

Backed out last night

LPJR

Got on stand before work last night and made a good shot on a doe quartering away at 21 yards right at last light. I backed out immediately after getting down and checking my bolt. Got off work this morning and recovered her approximately 50 yards from where I saw her last. Looks like either yotes or a fox got to her overnight. 

Was able to cut out the backstraps and some cutlets which were fine, as they were still cold this morning. Checked her in and dropping her off at Space Farms. Donating her for a Lion's dinner so she does not go to waste.

Team 6 on the board..

thumbnail_Resized_20180924_112244_4486.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180924_112341_852.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20180924_105556_409.jpg

20180924_112315.jpg

Edited by LPJR

2 minutes ago, Pathman said:

LPJR, just curious what you saw, or didn’t see, on your arrow that made you back out immediately? You say you made a good shot, so there must have been something that gave you doubt. 

I thought same thing .

It's still too warm to be leaving deer over night unless absolutely need to

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Pathman said:

LPJR, just curious what you saw, or didn’t see, on your arrow that made you back out immediately? You say you made a good shot, so there must have been something that gave you doubt. 

Great question. I shot exactly where I was aiming as I had time to be surgical with my shot placement (or so I thought). Was literally in awe when I saw the doe walk out of sight 75 yards away. Thought she should have been down in less than 40. Upon inspection of my bolt, I saw absolutely zero blood. The bolt was covered in a clear film, with a little bit of brown. Not sure that is was immediately fatal after seeing the bolt, so I didn't take a step towards the deer and quietly backed out. I really do not like leaving a deer and have rarely had to do so in the past, but in this case it was absolutely the right thing to do. The deer went @125 yards in total when I recovered her this morning. 

Upon checking the entrance and exit holes, they appear to be low.  In hindsight, the shot should have been higher in the lungs, not where I put it. Totally my fault. I was 18' up and the deer was slightly quartering away at exactly 21 yards. The entrance hole is on the left side and the exit is on the right side, just under the pocket. Just double checked and shot the bow and it is dead on. I hit exactly where I aimed last night, lesson learned going forward and will put it higher from a stand. 

Edited by LPJR

Lou for what its worth . Seems out of msny of the newer  faster bows and crossbows those bllody shafts we are all used to seeing sometimes dont happen .

And it def adds a weird twist to the puzzle.

I have even seen on snow where I watched the deer die . And walk up to the arrow that had nothing on it .

Seems you had a great blood trail to follow after the hit . Im sure if you had a bloody shaft you would have found her quick last night .

125 yards she was dead quick .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/