IGNORED

Old Stands, cool history and great scouting tools.

OneShot1Kill

It always happens when scouting a new spot, check maps, terrain features for good areas, put boots on the ground, find a spot that looks good and boom, there's some lumber hanging from the crotch of a tree. Personally I think old Stands are very cool. I remember spending weekends with my dad dragging lumber deep into the woods building them. I aquired a new piece of land to hunt and after doing my due diligence with terrain maps, topos etc I had a spot in mind before I arrived. The location did not disappoint with sign and it's what I hoped it would look like and of course, there's an old stand. About 30 yards away in a downed rotted tree I found a broadhead lodged in the trunk as well. Very cool. I attached a link to an article I wrote for Wide Open Spaces a few years ago on this very topic if you'd like to check it out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopenspaces.com/forgotten-time-old-treestands-talk/amp/

20180923_112910.jpg

20180923_113228.jpg

20180923_113543.jpg

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear

I’ve found myself taking photos of every old stand I come across for about the last ten years knowing they are slowly rotting away never to be hunted from again. I too think of all the memories made in them and wonder how successful hunters were out of each one. I hunted out of my last wood stand only maybe six years ago, a stand I had built 20+ years before at our former PA hunting camp.

I enjoyed your article very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, that's exactly what I'm talking about haha. Awesome. And bucks, when I was 10 years old, I'm 33 now, my dad and I built a huge wooden stand about 35 feet up in a cluster of maples. We called it the " condo" because it was very big by treestand standards. Had railings, seats the works, was meant for us both to be up there with plenty of room and it was awesome. Dragging the wood, rigging up a pully system to get it up the tree haha. I killed my first buck out of there, a 5 point who is on my wall which is now 23 years ago. The stand is still there although probably a death trap at this point ha 

"Natures law of tooth and claw is far crueler then any death I could ever bestow" - Fred Bear

I love history. That was supposed to be a filler article I had five that were due for that month that one ended up being the highest viewed haha. and out of all the old stands I've come across and sat and pondered and looked at today was the first time I've ever found a Broadhead so did he kill a giant? A doe ? Small buck ? Miss? Haha I guess we'll never know!

I also like finding old wooden stands. On more than one occasion  I set up in a tree with a lock on or climber only to find an old bow hook or step. I have also set up stands only to find old wooden pieces nailed to a tree directly across my shooting lane... pretty cool stuff and wish I knew the stories from them.