TonyJ

Questions on Pig Roast .

Hi All,

I'v smoked fish and game birds in the past . 

But this fall going to try doing a whole pig, thinking size around 80 to 100 lbs.

I'm thinking of building a Pit / Roaster out of cinder block and fire brick in the back yard. 

I'm in Hamilton Twp , anyone know a local place to purchase a  Dressed pig ready to roast.

and also what local sources for Hickory or Apple wood ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tony

I live in an old farmhouse with a fireplace large enough to roast a 100lb pig - have done this several times using a rotisserie - will post link to site when on a real computer.

I did it for a family Christmas dinner one time and it was well received.

The rotisserie would work fine over a pit as long as you could get power to it.

some people just splay it and lay it flat - turning it over is a bit of a chore I’d imagine but I have never done it that way myself.

I use a combination of seasoned oak and apple wood.

Edited by madeinuk

Have done it for Family once a year in Oct. At my Yard. Don't go wild with fire brick. But use cement block also don't oversize it the right fit to save fuel ( Charcoal ) you have a better control on the heat by feeding it as needed. mine is 30 in high. put bag stone over the dirt.  I have an S/S wire grate that I was giving away last year still have it.  Have the Pig Butter Flied ( Split ) with backbone intact. with this grate, it is easy to flip.  will post a photo if needed.  Be prepared to spend some time cooking without burning. I baste with Veg. Oil S/P only. depending on the size I use like 6 Bags Coals. and like 9 hours of slow roasting. Was taught by a Philipino from work.  Ok, you need a Pig   732-462-3695 ------------100 South Main St Marlboro, Nj. 07746 From sucklings to the Whole Hog. Goats-Cows Name it,  they have it all. Call ahead for hours and availability. Best to make a visit to get an idea of what you are getting in to.  You pick one out they Kill Clean Flash Chill you get the Pig Liver Heart Blood ++++++ I give it to the butcher as a Tip.   It is a madhouse on holidays as the Goats and Lambs Calves are processed ( Killed ) the African or Haitian. Italian, Indian ways.  I don't do pigs anymore but get some Chickens. Rabbits, and share a goat if offered. Any questions glad to help just plan way ahead. THere also are places to do it all. The Asian Market in Marlboro just east of there has and dose Whole pigs. they also have it by the Pound they just cut off what you want.  

21083348_1407612825952670_3568304301469483723_o.jpg

• Like 2

How many people are you trying to feed? 80-100lbs is a lot of pig.   I have done a couple of them in the 50lb range and had a lot left over. No matter what size you choose it is a lot of work and also a lot of fun.  Here are some questions to ask yourself. 

(Good luck)

How many people will be eating pig?
Will the pig be the main entrée?
Are most of the guests pretty good eaters?
Do you wanna have leftovers? Ok dumb question, of course ya do!!
If you answered YES to all of these questions then it is recommend that you figure approximately 1.5 lbs of pig for each person that will be eating pig.

If you answered NO to some of them then Then it is recommend that you scale back a bit and figure approximately 1 lb to 1.25 lb of pig for each person that will be eating pig.

Pig Roast Size Chart
50 - 60 Guests          70 - 75 lb Pig

60 - 70 Guests           80 - 85 lb Pig

70 - 80 Guests          85 - 95 lb Pig

80 - 90 Guests        95 - 105 lb Pig

Gentlemen, thanks for all the great info.

I'm planning on about 25-30 people.

I was thinking there’s a lot of waste , bones etc.

so may be a good idea to scale back in size.

Madeinuk, that fireplace sounds perfect.

1957 Buck , what size is the SS grate.? 

I don’t have a rotisserie so that may be the way 

to go.

sounds like a lot of work , but well worth it.

Have done it for Family once a year in Oct. At my Yard. Don't go wild with fire brick. But use cement block also don't oversize it the right fit to save fuel ( Charcoal ) you have a better control on the heat by feeding it as needed. mine is 30 in high. put bag stone over the dirt.  I have an S/S wire grate that I was giving away last year still have it.  Have the Pig Butter Flied ( Split ) with backbone intact. with this grate, it is easy to flip.  will post a photo if needed.  Be prepared to spend some time cooking without burning. I baste with Veg. Oil S/P only. depending on the size I use like 6 Bags Coals. and like 9 hours of slow roasting. Was taught by a Philipino from work.  Ok, you need a Pig   732-462-3695 ------------100 South Main St Marlboro, Nj. 07746 From sucklings to the Whole Hog. Goats-Cows Name it,  they have it all. Call ahead for hours and availability. Best to make a visit to get an idea of what you are getting in to.  You pick one out they Kill Clean Flash Chill you get the Pig Liver Heart Blood ++++++ I give it to the butcher as a Tip.   It is a madhouse on holidays as the Goats and Lambs Calves are processed ( Killed ) the African or Haitian. Italian, Indian ways.  I don't do pigs anymore but get some Chickens. Rabbits, and share a goat if offered. Any questions glad to help just plan way ahead. THere also are places to do it all. The Asian Market in Marlboro just east of there has and dose Whole pigs. they also have it by the Pound they just cut off what you want.  
21083348_1407612825952670_3568304301469483723_o.thumb.jpg.5f41b2287dfdee04276785ac78a4433e.jpg
I was there today and picked up an 80 pounder 188$

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was there today and picked up an 80 pounder 188$

And were gonna cook 4 whole chickens inside the pig

Codaboy,

That’s a good deal .

Sounds like a great idea.

you have to share some pics.

Tony

Edited by TonyJ

We just had our 2nd annual pig roast at our deer club,we hired the same guy 2 year's in a row and he charged us 4 bucks a plate with 2 sides. Could not beat the price and pork was awesome 

15 hours ago, TonyJ said:

Gentlemen, thanks for all the great info.

I'm planning on about 25-30 people.

I was thinking there’s a lot of waste , bones etc.

so may be a good idea to scale back in size.

Madeinuk, that fireplace sounds perfect.

1957 Buck , what size is the SS grate.? 

I don’t have a rotisserie so that may be the way 

to go.

sounds like a lot of work , but well worth it.

It is like 6ft By 30in wide I do an 80Lb pig ButterFly. I offered it I believe to J for the W&W Get together for their fire pit, it is yours one thing pass it along as needed to other members.   It Is 316 L S/S Heavy 3/16 wire mesh. I will explain how I raise and lowered it if need be.  

100_1559.JPG

100B1560.JPG

We get them at Dealamans in Berkeley Heights every year and we use a China box. Turns out fantastic. Brine night before and rub when we then it. If you want my China Box you can pick it up in Livingston. Cooks an 80 pounder.

Attach12907_20180709_143553.jpeg.bfe109e33deb786e837193ae78d42933.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

With 3 whole chickens cooked inside the pig, delicious, tender and jucie.received_236010280409611.jpeg

• Like 1