IGNORED

Would you rather.........

LPJR

Hold tight to the shoulder when using a bow, or stay away from the shoulder if you had the choice in an optimal, clear situation and broadside shot? Much discussion has been had over this, no better time than the present.

**Cool video of a real deer opened up with a visual of the lungs and organs blown up posted below the pic**

image.png.62e4243d1771d7dd23185e4628ab1a35.png

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=whitetail+deer+anatomy+for+bow&view=detail&mid=722BEDCBCD534C235C30722BEDCBCD534C235C30&FORM=VIRE

Edited by LPJR

13 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

I hold tight for the side of the depression the shoulder makes. If I hit where I aim it’s dead. If I drift a couple inches right or left it’s still dead. All depends on your setup. 

:agree:  although when i was younger I did shoot a 100 pound pull compound and if I did hit  shoulders they never got far.....

1 hour ago, buckhound said:

:agree:  although when i was younger I did shoot a 100 pound pull compound and if I did hit  shoulders they never got far.....

Right now at 71 pounds I’m pushing a 500 grain arrow between 288-294 FPS dependent on the vane I use. KE in the 80’s. It’ll punch through in a worse case scenario. My other setup is identical. Just lighter arrow coming out at 314fps. KE is 78. It will do the same. I never want to hit shoulder, but I also don’t stress over it. 

9 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

Right now at 71 pounds I’m pushing a 500 grain arrow between 288-294 FPS dependent on the vane I use. KE in the 80’s. It’ll punch through in a worse case scenario. My other setup is identical. Just lighter arrow coming out at 314fps. KE is 78. It will do the same. I never want to hit shoulder, but I also don’t stress over it. 

BUT , will your broad head hold up to a direct hit on solid bone . 

IMO many times it won’t . Ferrules break , blades break etc.

just putting a hole in them doesn’t make them recoverable .

ive seen the same broad head break the heaviest part of a leg bone and stay totally intact.

then on the next animal just a little different impact angle seen heads totally destroyed .

IMO Bone should be avoided as much as possible .

as far as where I aim on a deer . I shoot for my exit , not my entrance when possible . I want my arrow coming out the crease on the offside on everything except a slight quarter too , as that pushes you too far into the shoulder . On that shot only I shoot tight to the crease 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

ive seen the same broad head break the heaviest part of a leg bone and stay totally intact.

then on the next animal just a little different impact angle seen heads totally destroyed .

as far as where I aim on a deer . I shoot for my exit , not my entrance when possible . I want my arrow coming out the crease on the offside on everything except a slight quarter too , as that pushes you too far into the shoulder . On that shot only I shoot tight to the crease 

I tried a lot of broad heads in the past  some  broke off  in the target  or if the arrow passed through and hit the ground the best two i found  sattelite they held up good and muzzy that also held a better edge so i used muzzy 125 Grain I hit a couple deer in the shoulder the broadhead was always fine but the arrow alluminum or carbon always broke if i didnt pass through. I dug a couple out of trees and they still had some cut left and no nicks .. today i still use muzzy with my excalibur equinox.

intersect the green dot- I think many purposely aim a few inches further back then they should.   As Hammer said, it's all about your exit, see it, visualize it, you need to develop a bit of a "zen-like" feeling about the exit - see through the deer and focus on that exit. That may sound odd, but yes I first pick the spot to aim but it's based on seeing right through the deer with exit in mind, almost instinctive.   When I say intersect this green dot - you take angles into effect.    Once I gave into the "fear of the shoulder" and realized (thanks to this diagram I got many years ago) there is a much larger area that is bone-free in that crease than folks realize,  my recovery has been at or very close to 100%.  I may get the occasional bent ferule or broken shaft, but more often than not the same arrow and BH (VPA) get used over and over again once they pass the crack inspection and spin test. 

deer anatomy - Copy.jpg

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

As Dan stated i shoot for my exit also. That being said 99% of my shots taken are at least slightly quartering away and i shoot for the pumper. Exit is always low and leaves a good blood trail. Broadside that 1% i would have to say i am tight to the shoulder because again i shoot the pumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

7 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I’ve broken one head in 25 years. And that was when it hit a rock after the pass through. I understand your point. I just don’t worry about hitting bone. I’d rather be too tight in a shoulder then put one in the guts if I pull a shot.