IGNORED

Thermacell foot warmers

Psehunter

Does anyone have a pair of thermacell foot warmers? Do you like them? What ones did you get because I'm seeing a few different models ranging in price from $60 up to $200 ....I still havent been able to keep my feet warm during all day sits so I'm think of trying some type of electric heat in my boots..there is a few different kinds on Amazon but I want ones with a rechargable batter......I normally will last for 4-5 hours before I start to get uncomfortable so if I can get something to turn on and heat my feet for the remainder of the sit that would be great...thanks in advance for any advice ( I already have a warm set of boots and wear one pair of good wool socks..I've tried the boot covers with a hand warmer in there but their bulky and just another thing I  to carry and bring with me)

I like them i think they help. i do not think your feet will be toasty warm but better.

I think the newer ones the batteries are replaceable. I have the hand warmers too, again not as hot as chemical packs but i like them .

I use them every hunt ( carry in case) and dont worry because they are rechargeable. I actually charged hand warmers last night and will charge foot warmers tonight .

I have had both for 2 years no issues. 

I’ve heard bad things about them and it’s why I never tried. I always had cold feet problem. I think my first mistake was wearing rubber boots on cold days as they don’t breathe and my second mistake was wearing a pack boot that was too insulated making my feet sweet with not air flow. So now unless it’s below 20 degrees I wear a 1000 g boot with two pairs of merino wool socks. One thin liner pair and a another thicker pair, I have multiple thicknesses so I wear what I think I’ll need. 

I found a big factor to keep my feet from getting damp is put on warm boots and socks! I found when I put a cold boot on my foot it instantly builds up what I guess is condensation and there’s no going back after that, starting out damp is no good! I also bring a change of socks, sometimes I walk in with a thin cotton pair and change before I climb up and other times if walk isn’t too far just a pair to change later in day( still very important to keep boot warm while you change so I close boot up by folding tounge over and pre warm my socks in my bibs). Toasty toes are always in my pack and use them a lot also. They work great just don’t walk in with them because they get too much air and overheat making feet sweat. 

you ever try to just throw those chemical hand warmers in your boots (not in those boot "glove" things - just in your boots). I do that now - just my rubber boots with chemical warmers inside, and I wear just normal cold-weather socks. Works really well. My feet, once they get cold, that's it. I'm done. Can't ever warm them back up. But with a chemical hand warmer in there, it beats back the cold for at least 5 to 6 hours. If you carry an extra set of chemical warmers, when the originals lose the heat, just remove your boots and put the new ones in. Requires you to remove your boots for a couple minutes while in the stand, but that would give you another 5-6 hours (in addition to the original 5-6 hours the first set of chemical warmers get you).

A buddy of mine has a pair of the socks. I'm pretty sure he paid top dollar for them but he doesn't leave the house without them in the winter. He also bought the heated insoles but said that the socks seem to work better then the insoles. My cousin purchased a pair of the cheaper heated socks and returned them immediately stating they didn't work at all. Not sure if he just got a back batch or they were really just junk. The chemical warmers work best for me also even though nothing warms your feet up more then a little stroll in the woods but when your sitting all day that is not possible.

3 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

you ever try to just throw those chemical hand warmers in your boots (not in those boot "glove" things - just in your boots). I do that now - just my rubber boots with chemical warmers inside, and I wear just normal cold-weather socks. Works really well. My feet, once they get cold, that's it. I'm done. Can't ever warm them back up. But with a chemical hand warmer in there, it beats back the cold for at least 5 to 6 hours. If you carry an extra set of chemical warmers, when the originals lose the heat, just remove your boots and put the new ones in. Requires you to remove your boots for a couple minutes while in the stand, but that would give you another 5-6 hours (in addition to the original 5-6 hours the first set of chemical warmers get you).

That's what I'm currently using, the ones that are sticky on one side and ment for your toes...they work ok but not all day and I hate ha in to climb down to take my boots off and replace them or try doing it while in the stand.

Loose boots = happy feet. One polypropylene liner sock under one heavy wool sock and loose fitting boot will keep you warm. I don’t care how many grams of thinsulate your boots have if they’ve snug you will be cold, thinsulate only works if there is room for air.As Vdep said, if you sweat, change your socks in stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

I've tried all the electronic gimmicks and some work okay and others not well at all.  For me, I place the full foot warmers - not toe or hand warmers, but the full foot sized ones - in my boots just before I put them on.  I have never had a single day where I couldn't make it dark to dark in any cold weather since switching over to the full footbed chemical foot warmers. 

That said, other things mentioned are also critical.  Rubber will just freeze your feet.  Same for wet socks.  Start with your boots at inside temp and dry when you put them on as you walk out the door or leave your vehicle.  Make sure your socks are breathable.  I usually wear a thinner, moisture wicking pair and a heavier pair over those.  I'm on blood thinners plus I had frostbite from a broken ski lift back in the 70s, so my feet are tough to keep warm.  Just my two cents.      

I have the newer style ones with the app you can control them from your phone. They keep your feet warm, not hot. I like to hunt late season and they definately make it more comfortable. If you are going to buy them, by the top of the line

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Another trick I use on really cold days if I'm in a hang on or ladder stand with a metal floor is to zip tie a thin, insulated seat warmer to stand on.  The metal from the stand will steal heat from the bottoms of your boots.  But I only do that on really cold days.  Squirrels will eat them if you don't remove them after hunting.  Then you are left with a mess.