IGNORED

Early goose

BIG PAT

On 8/28/2018 at 9:38 AM, mazzgolf said:

:shock: I wouldn't kill that many for the sole reason I wouldn't want to clean them all! 

Have not eaten any in more than 10 years. Sky Crap is being kind. A group I worked and hunted with had 3 Horse farms in Coltsneck that were overrun with them. They would drop off at a Shed on site in 3 Minutes one knife slit pull the breast out Cut wash Chill.  Had a Food Kitchen that took them and one day said No More that taste Terrible.  and that was Late season birds the early ones are worthless but who knew what was what so Hunting them was history.  The resident ones don't leave the migratory ones blend in and become residents.   I put them in with the Ni***r Goose Brant. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

^ Just sounds to me like a lack of preparation and a lack of care. Residents are good...migrants are better...but snows are best...no different than a ribeye if you take care of it, prep it right, and cook it right. Maybe better. Not sure how anyone could come to conclude that an animal that eats grain, beans, corn, etc could possibly taste bad...

7 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

^ Just sounds to me like a lack of preparation and a lack of care. Residents are good...migrants are better...but snows are best...no different than a ribeye if you take care of it, prep it right, and cook it right. Maybe better. Not sure how anyone could come to conclude that an animal that eats grain, beans, corn, etc could possibly taste bad...

You are correct.   Most over cook the breasts.  I cook medium rare.   I also love to make jerkey and meat balls with them 

Totally agree with the above - goose meat is good if you prep and cook it well! My daughter (who won't touch anything else - deer, rabbit, pheasant) loves goose meat. Every time I come home, she asks, "You get us any goose?" :) 

I tell people if you cook it right, it's like roast beef. As @vdep217 says, cook it medium rare or at most medium. Keep some pink in there. Do not overcook it. And I always let it sit in brine before I do anything with it - soak it in brine for at least 24 hours is what I do.

I grind it up and make goose burgers, or I fry it, or cook it in the oven. ... Pulled goose BBQ... Leftovers, you can slice it up with some horseradish sauce for sammiches just like roast beef. Some good recipes you can make with goose. num num num.

28 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Totally agree with the above - goose meat is good if you prep and cook it well! My daughter (who won't touch anything else - deer, rabbit, pheasant) loves goose meat. Every time I come home, she asks, "You get us any goose?" :) 

I tell people if you cook it right, it's like roast beef. As @vdep217 says, cook it medium rare or at most medium. Keep some pink in there. Do not overcook it. And I always let it sit in brine before I do anything with it - soak it in brine for at least 24 hours is what I do.

I grind it up and make goose burgers, or I fry it, or cook it in the oven. ... Pulled goose BBQ... Leftovers, you can slice it up with some horseradish sauce for sammiches just like roast beef. Some good recipes you can make with goose. num num num.

I don't even brine..  I marinate like I would a steak..  I either do low n slow 300 until medium rare or high heat on grill top sear than oven till medium rare...

1 minute ago, maximus66 said:

Do you guys that like goose eat bluefish also? Seriously asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have eaten it, I do like it....but I rarely fish the salt..maybe 3-4 times for fluke and stripers....so I wouldn't consider myself someone who eats it regularly..

I have eaten it, I do like it....but I rarely fish the salt..maybe 3-4 times for fluke and stripers....so I wouldn't consider myself someone who eats it regularly..

Thanks for the reply, it seems most that think goose is great like bluefish also. I have tried goose in many ways by many people and to me it is just lousy. I have heard people call it flying roast beef but even rare my taste buds just don’t see it. I wish they did because i love goose hunting

AWM

13 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Thanks for the reply, it seems most that think goose is great like bluefish also. I have tried goose in many ways by many people and to me it is just lousy. I have heard people call it flying roast beef but even rare my taste buds just don’t see it. I wish they did because i love goose hunting

The thing I do that most others don't, is I don't brine birds. I think brining it sets you up to dry the bird out and making it more susceptible to cooking fast..which means the bird you think you were cooking medium ends up well done. And that's no good. I keep it pretty simple, but I never brine. I think it is a huge help IMO.

My best recommendations to you would be (if you haven't had them of course):

1) Jalapeno poppers. Just can't go wrong with them. Great for football games..plus they're a good novelty to introduce people to wild game.

2) A bbq pulled pork mccormick's packet in the crockpot on low..add sweet baby rays hickory and brown sugar when the goose in tender and pulls apart with two forks..easy lunch sandwiches...

3) Marinate in soy sauce and blackened cajun bbq...cook to medium, then char both sides to give it a nice crust.

The thing I do that most others don't, is I don't brine birds. I think brining it sets you up to dry the bird out and making it more susceptible to cooking fast..which means the bird you think you were cooking medium ends up well done. And that's no good. I keep it pretty simple, but I never brine. I think it is a huge help IMO.
My best recommendations to you would be (if you haven't had them of course):
1) Jalapeno poppers. Just can't go wrong with them. Great for football games..plus they're a good novelty to introduce people to wild game.
2) A bbq pulled pork mccormick's packet in the crockpot on low..add sweet baby rays hickory and brown sugar when the goose in tender and pulls apart with two forks..easy lunch sandwiches...
3) Marinate in soy sauce and blackened cajun bbq...cook to medium, then char both sides to give it a nice crust.

Interesting, i will definitely give #2 a try, thanks

AWM