IGNORED

Refit Complete now to the Range.

1957Buck

Just mentioning his name in this thread is sacrilegious.  

Just making a point that many do not realize. In no way am comparing Hathcock to this guy. At all times you should strive to have your scope bell as close to your barrel, with that being said one of the best rifle shooters i have ever seen is a hick from PA in Huntington County. He shot a 30-06 Remington Pump with see through mounts on his scope insistent that he used open sights on drives. I watched him sitting on a turkey chair leaned against a tree just using his knee and thigh as a rest dust clay birds at 200yrds. Enough for me not to question his high scope because i know i cant do that at 200yrds with the consistency he did. I guess i tend to be more humble than you fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

The challenge with high mounts are adjusting the scope and if it has enough MOA to move the reticle.  You can push the MOA to the edge of the range, and on a cheap scope you're going to get some weird optics.  So I have no problem with the mounts being where you put them, but do you know how far you need to move the reticle based on those mounts?

I put a Picatinny rail on my .30-06 that added 20MOA to the hight of the scope.  I had to do that to accommodate for the size of the bell.  The scope had 42 MOA of range to move the reticle, so I had to drastically dial it down before I got on paper.  I may remount the scope or get another one with a larger range of MOA.  Sucks because it's a Leupold that I dropped about $1K on.  Scopes are an expensive habit.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

The challenge with high mounts are adjusting the scope and if it has enough MOA to move the reticle.  You can push the MOA to the edge of the range, and on a cheap scope you're going to get some weird optics.  So I have no problem with the mounts being where you put them, but do you know how far you need to move the reticle based on those mounts?
I put a Picatinny rail on my .30-06 that added 20MOA to the hight of the scope.  I had to do that to accommodate for the size of the bell.  The scope had 42 MOA of range to move the reticle, so I had to drastically dial it down before I got on paper.  I may remount the scope or get another one with a larger range of MOA.  Sucks because it's a Leupold that I dropped about $1K on.  Scopes are an expensive habit.

Interesting analogy Haskell but at the same time somewhat confusing. You say you had to add picatinny rail to heighten the scope due to the size of the scopes bell and thus the scope itself did not have enough adjustment because of this height requirement. If that was the case how much higher was the bell in relation to the barrel and how could it run out of range since the large bells center/crosshair remains a constant in relation to the size of the bell. Am i missing something here?

AWM

35 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Interesting analogy Haskell but at the same time somewhat confusing. You say you had to add picatinny rail to heighten the scope due to the size of the scopes bell and thus the scope itself did not have enough adjustment because of this height requirement. If that was the case how much higher was the bell in relation to the barrel and how could it run out of range since the large bells center/crosshair remains a constant in relation to the size of the bell. Am i missing something here?

Here's a photo of the scope, mounting and gun:

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.ec86e03b8053deb5ec63eefccad445ef.jpg

The scope is mounted on a Rem 700 XCR II .30-06.  It's a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm 30mm Matte Rifle Scope Illum. Boone & Crockett Reticle.  So the bell is pretty big.  I can't remember, but I think the factory taps were further apart than the length of the scope, so I had to add the rail, which added the 20MOA to the overall mounting.

The scope, like any other scope, ships with the reticle in the center.  It has a range of 42 MOA, which means it can move 21 MOA up or down from the center.  Since my rail adds 20MOA, I have to move the reticle to compensate for that.  I was surprised that this particular model scope had such a limited range of MOA adjustment to the retcile.  Most 50mm belled scopes have something like 60-80MOA in reticle motion.

I figured that since the scope is a decent mid-range priced Leupold, it should look good if I push the reticle adjustment to the edges of its range.

I hope I explained that properly.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Here's a photo of the scope, mounting and gun:
IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.ec86e03b8053deb5ec63eefccad445ef.jpg

The scope is mounted on a Rem 700 XCR II .30-06.  It's a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50mm 30mm Matte Rifle Scope Illum. Boone & Crockett Reticle.  So the bell is pretty big.  I can't remember, but I think the factory taps were further apart than the length of the scope, so I had to add the rail, which added the 20MOA to the overall mounting.
The scope, like any other scope, ships with the reticle in the center.  It has a range of 42 MOA, which means it can move 21 MOA up or down from the center.  Since my rail adds 20MOA, I have to move the reticle to compensate for that.  I was surprised that this particular model scope had such a limited range of MOA adjustment to the retcile.  Most 50mm belled scopes have something like 60-80MOA in reticle motion.
I figured that since the scope is a decent mid-range priced Leupold, it should look good if I push the reticle adjustment to the edges of its range.
I hope I explained that properly.

You explained it perfectly and i see there is quite a gap between the bell and barrel. That rail seems to have extended to far forward of the receiver. I myself would modify it which should allow for one size lower rings. Just my .02

AWM

Get a 0moa rail. The 20moa rail pulls your cheek off of the stock, too.

You should be able to get a 100yd. zero with the 20moa rail. Well, I got that zero on my 1" setup.

Wanna trade scopes/rings?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, BCsaw said:

Get a 0moa rail. The 20moa rail pulls your cheek off of the stock, too.

You should be able to get a 100yd. zero with the 20moa rail. Well, I got that zero on my 1" setup.

Wanna trade scopes/rings?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trade, no.  But I’ll go to Cherry Ridge with you anytime to shoot and compare rigs.  Nothing better than going to the range with another experienced shooter to compare notes.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I’ll go to Cherry Ridge with you anytime to shoot and compare rigs.  Nothing better than going to the range with another experienced shooter to compare notes.

Same offer here but Range 14 Dix. Thanks to members with constructive criticism. and to others who rather act ignorant. And have never done anything on their own.  If it does not work out I have other rings and Mounts time and money to try nothing is set.  To the ones who want scopes on Shotguns- Crossbows experimenting with Chokes. Can't use a Black Powder Rife as Intended. Can't Hunt without artificial means. Can't even make decisions on  Socks - Boots- Bikes - on and on. yet you can make comments on someone doing something you most likely are incapable of.  WOW did I just push someone's Button?  Dam did I also sound like the Herd.                                                                                 Like I was told got nothing good to add Stay out of it. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif