The wife and I are headed for two weeks in Denali/Fairbanks Alaska the first two weeks of September.  It's not a hunting trip.  We'll be hiking, fishing, drinking, eating and and taking lots of landscape/wildlife photography.  Any recommendations or advise from those who have been there?  Thanks.

• Like 7

Mt. McKinley (Denali) is nearly always shrouded in clouds.  IF they clear, take a bunch of pics.  The mountain is impressive, when its visible.

Make sure to use high res sd cards . You will be glad when you want to blow a picture up .

Scenery is breath taking.

Weather can change in an instant. Good rain wear and a lightweight vest should be with you where ever you go 

We went to Alaska last year. It was one of our more enjoyable vacations. Took a cruise through the inside passage with stops in Juneau (helicoptered to Mendenhall Glacier and then did some hiking ), Ketchikan (salmon fishing was insane) and Skagway/ Haines (canoed on the Chilkat River with Bald Eagles everywhere).  

We then rented an SUV and drove to Denali NP. Stayed at the Princess Lodge immediately outside Denali NP.  While in Denali we did a lot of day hikes, took the 6 hour bus tour (need reservations) which was amazing because you can only drive 20 miles into the park by car but the bus takes you in like 60 miles (road only goes 90 miles). The wildlife was amazing (close encounters with brown bear and moose) and the view of Denali Mt was awesome.  They say you can only see Denali Mt 30% of the time (clouds) but we had great weather and lucked out.  Also in the Park is a cool dog sled section of the park where you can pet /feed the working dogs and see a demo. The dogs are used for chores in the park especially in winter.  If you plan on hiking in the back country I believe you have to make reservations. 

Not sure where you are staying but the town immediately outside of Denali NP is very small with only a few restaurants so there are limited options. Don’t expect fine cuisine.  As I recall the season ends at the end of September so it should be less crowded when you go.  The other cool thing is that the sun was still out to like 10 pm so you can maximize your activities.  Bring warm clothes as it gets chilly especially if you take “nighttime” hikes in the Park and bring rain gear.

Do your homework (if you haven’t done so, look at Denali National Park website for info) and you will have a great time. PM if you have any questions. 

Have a a great time! 

• Like 1

I went to Denali National park a few years ago with my wife. I definately recommend stopping by the town of Talkeetna. Its pretty much the base camp for all the climbers climbing Mt McKinley. 

A great place to stay while you are there is the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. 

We also did some King Salmon fishing on the Talkeetna River. There are several outfits to take you out on the river fishing. 

There are several tours in Denali. You can only go so far by car. They had a 60 and a 90 mile bus tour. We did the 90 mile tour and plan on around 8 to 10 hours. You will see wildlife for sure. 

There are also several plane charters as well as helicopters out of Talkeetna. 

We did the one that takes you over the top ok Mt McKinley. Its like a small jet. Awesome time. 

The Alaskan highway is an unbelievable ride. We drove from Anchorage up to Denali, back down to the Kenai Peninsula (gorgeous) to the Seward and Homer area and did a glacier cruise. Highly recommend also. 

Great seafood also in Seward and Homer as the fish come off the boats and in the back door of the restaurants. Watch out for moose. We saw several in our travels on the road. Friggin huge creatures. 

If you have time, I hear the railroad trips are awesome. I didnt get to do. 

You will have a blast. Take plenty of pics. 

I will look for a few of mine

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The 1st pic, look at the 6 dots on top of the mountain. Thats 6 hikers making it to the top of Mt McKinley as we were flying over. Its so cold and the oxygen so thin, you can only stay 15 min max before you have to start heading down. They say say it takes about 3 weeks to reach the top. There are several camps set up for hikers to spend the nights as they climb. Some people make it, some dont. Some dont live to tell about it. utf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzNjE5LmpwZw-1.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzNTU1LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzMjQ1LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzMTMzLmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQyNzI2LmpwZw-1.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQyODI3LmpwZw-1.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQyOTU3LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzNDUzLmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzODExLmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzOTE4LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQ0MDE5LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQzNjE5LmpwZw-1.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQ0MTI5LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQ0MjA4LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTUzNjE5LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTQ0MzA3LmpwZw.jpgutf-8BMjAxMjAxMjRfMTUzNzA4LmpwZw.jpg

Edited by tcook8296
  • Like 3

South East Alaska is some awesome scenery also. The inside passage from Vancouver Island BC up to Ketchikan, Prince of Wales Island, Admiralty, Baranof, Chichagof up to Juneau is full of wildlife and huge snowcapped mountains. Ive flown in and out of Juneau, Prince of Wales and Admiralty several times. 

Traveled the inside passage in small boats hunting Brown Bears , Black Bears and Sitka Blacktailed deer. 

Absolutely stunning

Background Brother Alaska resident going on 50 years I made many visits in those years. He has lived in from Aleutians. Kodiak, Kenai, Homer, Seward, Cooperlanding, been to the Arctic and  Nome. Now have a mobile home in Tok for summers and back to Coopers landing to Babysit a Business for the winter.  The best advice I can give is to avoid the Tourist Traps and areas if you want a True Alaska Experience. You don't mention how U - R traveling.   Fairbanks in Photo is a City. Interesting but Crowded Tourists.  Denali National Park is the attraction Guide bus into the park is the only way. can be disappointing in Sept. U could be on the tour and 1/2 way be turned around due to Snow Storm. or even never see the Mountain Rain Fog. there is no refunds only Credit. there is nothing much else there but for Staying at Prince's lodge along with the Tourists that come by Train from Anchorage by Train. If U -R driving look for those out of the way spots to spend a Night Tok is one example. Alaska is so big to travel distances to see many spots U have to do a lot of homework on what U want so you are not disappointed.  AS U picked 2 Places that take up a lot of travel time. Not Knowing your mode of transportation it is hard to explain. If you are Flying into Anchorage and renting an SUV  A trip to Denali is one day with only one day for the National Park  Tour. on to Fairbanks is another day for What just to say U were there.  If it is Fishing Dinning Exploring Sightseeing Mountains - Glaciers- Boat Rides getting away from Tourists. IMO Fly into Anchorage do the town then the rental and head to the Kenai Penisula. Fishing Dinning touring from Glacier Cruises- Floatseeing and Fishing Trips down the Kenai River- Flightseeing Shopping and just taking in The Mountain Views and wildlife. September The Tourist will be down on the Peninsula. And booking a Stay at the Princess Cruise Line Lodge in Cooper Landing is a Luxury treat. and can be a Base to go out from.  Suggestions Bring a sense of humor and patience and a Fat Wallet.  Not trying to be negative on any `points but it depends what you want in a first time limited time trip to Alaska. Good Luck it is a Trip not to forget. It can be overwhelming without proper planning.   

378987b0d0eb9ded7c7b0c02956812d7.jpg

tok.jpg

CL-Denali-Backcountry-Adventure.jpg

tok.gif

b01b093d90e80d7f2cd3f4c0ed53f498.jpg

Mount_McKinley_Alaska.jpg

• Like 1

Folks, I am so grateful for the trip advice.  The pictures are amazing!  I will be taking lots of pictures.  I hope the weather cooperates.  We are staying in the Park for four days at the Denali Backcountry Lodge and then outside the Park at the Denali Cabins.  Flying in/out of Fairbanks.  Will have a rental car for spending a few day in Fairbanks.  

This is our second trip to Alaska.  The first trip was a cruise we took with my parents in '09.  Saw all the glaciers in Glacier Bay Nat Park, then stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka and Victoria BC.  We took side trips for whale watching, glacier hiking, float plane to Fjords Nat Park and a bicycle pub crawl.  I highly recommend that cruise.

Thanks again.  I will post pictures upon returning.

image.png

• Like 3

WOW SJPT, that sounds like an amazing trip.  Have fun.  :up: :up:

WOW sounds like a great trip. have a great time .   :up:   dont forget to post pics :)

Great information here!

Mrs. Putz & I did the Inside Passage cruise last week, I was really impressed.  :up:

Unfortunately, I left wanting more, next time we may just skip the whole cruise thing, fly to Anchorage, and plan our own tour. For those who have gone, how may days would you recommend at Denali park?

July 1st we where in the park  for 9 1/2 hrs. bus trip.We seen  48 dall sheep,9 moose,4 grizzly,23 caribou,2 gold eagles,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nnjfarmboy said:

July 1st we where in the park  for 9 1/2 hrs. bus trip.We seen  48 dall sheep,9 moose,4 grizzly,23 caribou,2 gold eagles,

Beautiful pictures farmboy.  :up:

• Like 1