hammer4reel

Fuel spills Delaware river

right around the time shad are hatching or very small fry...  These are never good for any body of water.

Well if their is a bad shad run in 4 years you know why

Thought it was because of the damn mountain kids putting pennies on the tracks......but the video said a culvert washed out after all the heavy rains......u wud figure someone would inspect these things after the heavy rains we had!!!!

Btw......this guy is quoted as being a friend of the river!!!!  How can u say this as a friend.....n how can u say this if it has never happened on your watch before!?!!?

"We are in an unknown space right now this has never happened on our watch at this magnitude but I don`t think 4,000 gallons of diesel fluid or any type of chemical going into the river would have zero impact," said Dan Plummer of friends of the Upper Delaware River."

Oh yeah......and.....good bye shad run that we have been finally enjoying the past years!!!!

I would be more concerned with the trout and the whole aquatic system that feeds them .

All of the eagles etc that feed there

By time reached most shad would hope it isless parts per million .

Cargo trains these days are just a disaster waiting to happen at any given time or place. 

it would be interesting to know what the true environmental impact will be.  I assume the fuel will float and disperse on shorelines miles downstream?  It may have no consequential impact to the spill area.  But I am no expert, but lets hope it "sounds worse" than it really will actually be. 

It sucks for sure. I'm getting mixed signals from the emergency management guy at 1:50 that it will disperse, float on the top and evaporate then the audio runs back into the first guy saying there is concern because of the cold water nature of the river like no other.. So which is it? Time will tell.....

As for inspecting the tracks after the flooding rains it comes right around to the infrastructure issues of everything these days. Somebody, somewhere took the money for such things and put it somewhere else no doubt.

2 hours ago, Joeybeets said:

Cargo trains these days are just a disaster waiting to happen at any given time or place. 

It’s not just cargo trains. There seems to be crashes and derailments on the news all of the time for passenger trains also.

3 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

It may have no consequential impact to the spill area.  But I am no expert, but lets hope it "sounds worse" than it really will actually be. 

We had a massive fuel leak down here at the NJ Transit garage in  Washington Township (the one in south Jersey, 08012) back in 2012. To compare - this train derailment leaked 4,000 ga of diesel. This spill back in 2012 leaked 26,000 gallons of diesel! That's over 6 times the amount of this trail derailment spill. The leak spilled into Grenloch Lake,  Timber Creek, Blackwood Lake . It was really bad when it happened - reading everything, I got the impression there was a chance we'd never get some of those lakes back.

When it happened: https://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2012/01/diesel_fuel_spill_fouls_grenlo.html

1 year later: https://www.nj.com/washington-township-times/index.ssf/2012/12/nj_transit_nonprofit_reflects.html

2 years later: https://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2014/09/grenloch_lake_oil_spill_new_report_shows_impact_on_insects_crustaceans_two_years_later.html

I fished Grenloch last year -  I never caught much in that place anyway :) but we did catch fish there. From my layman's eyes, just looking at the lake, it didn't seem worse for wear. I'm sure there is still lingering effects, but it seems to have rebounded OK.

Point is, it looks devastating when it first happens, and the clean up needs to be done properly, but Mother Nature has a way of bouncing back. Might not be as pristine as before, but chances are it should get back to some sense of normalcy. 

Thought it was because of the damn mountain kids putting pennies on the tracks......but the video said a culvert washed out after all the heavy rains......u wud figure someone would inspect these things after the heavy rains we had!!!!
Btw......this guy is quoted as being a friend of the river!!!!  How can u say this as a friend.....n how can u say this if it has never happened on your watch before!?!!?
"We are in an unknown space right now this has never happened on our watch at this magnitude but I don`t think 4,000 gallons of diesel fluid or any type of chemical going into the river would have zero impact," said Dan Plummer of friends of the Upper Delaware River."

I think you don’t understand what Dan is saying. He is a founder of FUDR (Friends of the Upper Delaware, a watershed group founded to protect the upper D and fight with NY City for better ecological flows). He is saying they have never experienced something like this spill, and that he feels it will have negative impacts to the river. So he’s saying exactly what he should based on not having more info from previous spills.

That said, sure these spills are bad and the people/businesses responsible need to be fined, but 4,000 gallons of diesel spilled into a river like the West Branch which has been running very high through all of this isn’t nearly the horror it sounds like. The three “500 year flood” events of ‘05 and ‘06 saw many times grater that amount of fuel oil spilled from homes and businesses and gas stations into the river when it flooded, but people only focus on the floods, not all the crap that entered the river those days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree 1