IGNORED

Good hunting rain gear

nmc02

I have Field and Stream camo rain gear. Its ok for a little while but rain eventually soaks through. I mostly use it for goose hunting when I'm laying on damp ground and get my layout wet and muddy.

I have been switching over to a ground blind when I deer hunt in the rain.

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

3 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I have struck out in regards to good camo rain gear. I spent $500 on Cabelas rain gear and it sucks. Any recommendations for quality rain gear? Thanks in advance.

Interested in the responses as well. Been using a tree umbrella but looking for some clothing. Always saw mixed reviews on the cabelas stuff, what were you using?

I have a L.L. Bean  Camo Gore-Tex rain jacket that I’ve been using for 15 years,  still keeps me dry. I sprayed it with Goretex  spray a few times over the years. I think it was about $250 it was a gift from my Dad on one of our Maine  hunts. We always stop at L.L. Bean’s on the way up.

Edited by Nomad

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for.  Quality rain wear is not CHEAP!!!  I spend weeks in the back country of the mountain West and I found this out the hard way.  I have tried several brands and found First Lite & Kuiu to be great choices for rain wear.  Things to consider are what type you need.  Some rain wear is for the active (spot/stalk) hunter and others are for the stand hunter.  But be prepared to drop some $$$.  If you need more information shoot me PM.  Tater1973

Edited by Tater1973

20 minutes ago, Tater1973 said:

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for.  Quality rain wear is not CHEAP!!!  I spend weeks in the back country of the mountain West and I found this out the hard way.  I have tried several brands and found First Lite & Kuiu to be great choices for rain wear.  Things to consider are what type you need.  Some rain wear is for the active (spot/stalk) hunter and others are for the stand hunter.  But be prepared to drop some $$$.  If you need more information shoot me PM.  Tater1973

So how much is good rain gear?

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

So how much is good rain gear?

I can only speak to the brands I currently use.  First Lite & Kuiu will run you approximately $225 - $335 for the bottoms and $250 - $350 for the tops.  Sometimes you can find items on sale and save a little money.  However, rain gear is usually a one time purchase.  Tater1973

56 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

I use carhart rain gear for work. Its heavy but works pretty well. I'm not sure if they make camo but you could always put one of those net bug suits over it. My carhart rain gear is green.

I too use my Carhartt gear hunting the snow and precipitation of NH.  I've been in some torrential freezing rain up there, had my jacket and pants ice over like a suit of armor, and stayed warm and dry the whole time.

If you don't move or are in good cover, the deer won't see you.  So I am less concerned with camo patterns on my gear.  I have the standard orange Carhartt gear.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 hour ago, Devil Horns said:

I use carhart rain gear for work. Its heavy but works pretty well. I'm not sure if they make camo but you could always put one of those net bug suits over it. My carhart rain gear is green.

1 hour ago, Devil Horns said:

Same! I have dark green carhartt rain gear, I think I spent $160?  I love it. 

5 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I have struck out in regards to good camo rain gear. I spent $500 on Cabelas rain gear and it sucks. Any recommendations for quality rain gear? Thanks in advance.

I have Red Ledge OD rain jacket and black rain pants that I use for backpacking out west.  Very light and packs to the size of a large fist. Does the job but it’s not camo and the material is noisy.  

6 hours ago, kanigie said:

Interested in the responses as well. Been using a tree umbrella but looking for some clothing. Always saw mixed reviews on the cabelas stuff, what were you using?

I have cabelas mt50 scentlok rain gear....pants & jacket. Hate it. Hot, elastic waste, not breathable