BHC

Less Pictures The Last Few Weeks?

Last two weeks I experienced less movement on my trail camera,  has anyone experienced the same? Maybe the heat & humidity is a factor 

I experienced this every year when I had cameras over bait. As the season approached I had less and less deer on my cam and by the times the season started almost all mature deer were gone. Do they have the calendar and know when the seasons starts?  Who knows why it happens but I had a theory. As I made more and  more trips to check  the camera, (I was addicted to it), I pushed the mature deer out. So I stopped with endless trips and the very first year I did it I had a major improvement in the number of mature deer in September.  

• Agree 1

Bait piles hitting the ground, pressure is building and deer are getting pushed out. 

• Agree 1

I have a few spots in areas  that have little to no hunting pressure and I have seen the same thing.  Happens every year.  Should pick up when the weather breaks a little.  

it's raining acorns by me, also mineral sites have pretty much served their purpose they always slow down on the minerals as most antler development is about done by now. A lot of corn fields are prime by now - deer get in there and don't leave, the corn is ripe and mature.  

And yes -we hunters are often to blame for shifts in patterns, as we start patterning them, infusing massive bait piles all throughout the state, they also start patterning us. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, archer36 said:

The Farmer next door is killing them. 

The farmer across from me is killing deer every night

2 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

The farmer across from me is killing deer every night

The Farmer's Brother told me a 9 pt was shot a few nights ago. He said "why didn't you let the Buck go for the hunters?". The reply was, "it was eating my peaches". 

My mineral site cams are definitely experiencing less activity.  But, I have a few cams on a soybean field and corn filed and they are going crazy.  

Other foods are available now.  Burr acorns are continually hitting my neighbors tin roof on his shed

I have acorns  falling by my spot and  a stream.  Set up along there trails to the stream.  Actually have had more deer on cam in the last 2 weeks.  I need to go back and check now that I put food out this past Sunday.  Also there is 3 trees blocking  the entrance to hike in from and other trees down with overgrowth.  also may be deterring other hunters n  keeping the pressure down but not me. I haven’t seen signs of anyone else yet, but I’m sure I will.

Checking trail cameras too often will change their movement for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have an unusal experience. Property owner cut down a truckload worth of trees; several in front of my tree stand.  My trail camera shows the work crew and tractors/logging equipment every morning for a few days. Like clockwork, every evening on the same day I have deer on camera.  Would have thought my site was ruined but not so... go figure....

I would have to say, this is oddest summer for pics of bucks. I had best mineral action I ever seen April / May / to early June with over a dozen bucks several quite mature.  One by one all the bucks have vanished.  For past 15 years, I have held nice, mature bachelor groups all summer long and watched them grow.   This was worst mid June through August period I have ever recorded. Not a single mature buck, just a few dinks and one with nut cancer. I am not doing anything different. Somebody must have one helluva a sweet food plot nearby.   Not gonna panic, the pre-rut through post-rut normalizes everything, but it is nice to see quality bucks in the summer and see them blossom, I just didn't get to experience that this summer for the first time since I have lived in z5...

I have one camera that has more pictures and the other 3 are slower. 

My thought is this..  every year the same thing comes up..  around the same time give or take a week..  deers nutritional needs are changing..  does a weaning fawns off milk bucks are just about done growing antlers and neither need the minerals as much..  they are turning their attention to calories and fat for the winter.   Neither corn nor mineral licks can provide..  they are searching for the hi protein hi fat content foods more thus not at the bait and mineral site as much

That's a nice one Cook! You need to keep him on your side of the road!!

• Like 1

tcook is right. I'm seeing bucks in the beans. I'll do a camera pull tomorrow in the rain and see what we got over the last 3wks.

2 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Soybeans. They are in the beans

20180807_191853.thumb.jpg.9cb9c6a74deb9bd71dbe6ca174a631f5.jpg

I guess the farmer missed one ?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Live to Hunt said:

I guess the farmer missed one ?

I have my doubts he will make it to the season

He got passed last season with a broken G3 and part of his main beam

Edited by tcook8296