BCsaw

Fall food plot preps

It's a lot to do in a short period of time to establish a food plot. Depends on what you are starting with and type of soil you are dealing with. I have always got a soil test to determine pH levels to determine how much lime and what type of fertilizer is needed. Weed control is always a major issue when starting a food plot. I usually cut/till and spray a couple times before I prepare the sheet bed to give the seed little competition for the proper nutrients to grow. And then there is always the rain issue.... Are you going to have enough moisture to properly keep the seed hydrated. I am going to start another one this week and see how it goes.... Worst case scenario I have a prepared food plot area for next season for Spring planting. I have always used Whitetail Institute. They are very helpful and their customer service is fantastic. If you just want to start out with an annual Whitetail Institute no plow seed is pretty good and establishes rather quickly. A lot of information I just researched everything online and got the hang of it. Best of luck

Depends on where your planting it. What is currently growing there. What you plan to plant. And then your soILS PH. List some more info and there’s a bunch here myself included that can get you off in the right direction 

My 6lbs. Total Deer max and Ultra max arrived today.

The 30'x120' plot area currently has some grass on it. Thursday, I cut it down and

Round-upped it. The area is

semi- shaded by the high canopy woods and borders a seasonal pond and 20yds. from the river. The land is about 2-3' above the high water mark.

Bucksnbows knows it well.

It is a sanctuary and not far from bedding areas.

I'm looking at about two weeks to get the seed in the ground. I plan to use a weighted aerator to get the seed to depth in the soil.

The seed drill and planter seemed to be excessive.

Time to read up on the Merit Seed Wildlife Food Plot product guide enclosed with the seed.

Thanks in advance for the advice on the planting process.

I'll test the PH Friday.

Ph 6

P

K

N

*** Soil amendments postponed with flood water coming till Sunday 12th.

Posted (edited)

I just got my brassicas in yesterday. The seed you have is exactly what I planted. If your grass that was cut and sprayed did not leave you with a heavy thatch you can just broadcast the seed into the grass. Pack it with the tires on your quad, a lawn roller or cultipacker. If you have heavy thatch, you could rake it and remove it. No need to till disc or drill brassicas. Try to get them in asap. 

Chance of thunderstorms almost every day for the next week and you want a minimum of 60 days before a hard frost. 

Edited by tcook8296
  • Like 2

I just got my brassicas in yesterday. The seed you have is exactly what I planted. If your grass that was cut and sprayed did not leave you with a heavy thatch you can just broadcast the seed into the grass. Pack it with the tires on your quad, a lawn roller or cultipacker. If you have heavy thatch, you could rake it and remove it. No need to till disc or drill brassicas. Try to get them in asap. 

Chance of thunderstorms almost every day for the next week and you want a minimum of 60 days before a hard frost. 

I sprayed the Roundup concentrate today.

Will the seeds do well now as the grass and weeds die over the next two weeks?

Friday will be clear skies before the rains.

This strip of high grass was sprayed with round up, broadcasted the seed and rolled with a lawn roller all on the same day. 20170805_153331.thumb.jpg.167b033a720e5e52ba9c1e477fda625c.jpg20171116_082721.thumb.jpg.7b53f6edf1a95d0a0ea9ad678bc5b954.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Here’s a few I did this year in NY 

Orchard Site 6/14/18

A5460F0D-F95A-4C17-B269-F61BC99E167F.jpeg

Pond Site 6/14/18

64928043-836B-4528-B6E3-E6950B240B02.jpeg

Camp Field 6/14/18

CC871868-996B-4EE1-94EC-07FEEE3051C9.jpeg

Orchard Site 8/5/17

E22ACEAC-1EAB-415F-9FF9-2CCA65556293.jpeg

Pond Site 8/5/18

72BC93A2-BD2E-4C8D-BFA1-6CA203674CB0.jpeg

Camp Field 

F67D71E5-4548-4FEF-99AB-FFEFD8417400.jpeg

Fusion was planted in Pond and Camp Fields  , Edge is in the orchard Site. 

Total of 3000 lbs of lime and 300 lbs of 15/15/15 and 200 of 0/0/20 . It needs to be mowed and probably sprayed with a selective . 

Edited by Nanuk
  • Like 1

Best case you could soil tested and amended the soil. Then you coulda sprayed roundup. Given it anywhere  from a few hours to a  week or so. Broadcasted seed right into the grass. And mowed it. Roundup at that point has done its job.  Mowing will get the seed down to the soil as well as provide a thatch later. Thatch will serve half a dozen benefits to the immediate as well as future efforts. 

The seed is down. The zero turn mower made multiple passes to hold the seed. There is a threat of a flash flood this weekend with already saturated soils.
The Ph is 6
Soil amendments will wait til after the floodwaters recede.20180810_170548.jpeg

Let it rain let it rain let it rain. 

Got a good dose today. 

Woke up early and beat the rain. Got a mix of clover, alfalfa and trefoil seeded before the skies opened up. 

Even got a clover plot mowed 

1 hour ago, tcook8296 said:

Let it rain let it rain let it rain. 

Got a good dose today. 

Woke up early and beat the rain. Got a mix of clover, alfalfa and trefoil seeded before the skies opened up. 

Even got a clover plot mowed 

There is no chance we are getting into our fields to do anything . Way to wet and not looking good for awhile .  

10 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

There is no chance we are getting into our fields to do anything . Way to wet and not looking good for awhile .  

Winter rye labor day weekend. Burn down the plot first chance you get and surface broadcast winter rye. 

Throw some clover in too. 

Yeah Tom that's looks like the plan with some oats also.  Did soil tests and 2 of the 4 plots the PH is under 6 so want to get lime down this fall also .  I was amazed you were able to get into your fields. I think we got close to 3 inches of rain yesterday .  

My seeds been down for 2 weeks .. nothing sprouting with all this rain and warm temps I wonder what went wrong.
My buddy sent me a pic of his brassicas in NY 2 weeks after planting and they are already several inches tall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

My seeds been down for 2 weeks .. nothing sprouting with all this rain and warm temps I wonder what went wrong.
My buddy sent me a pic of his brassicas in NY 2 weeks after planting and they are already several inches tall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Give them a little more time. Once they sprout they go fast. 

The only way they are not coming up is if you planted them too deep. 

9 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

Yeah Tom that's looks like the plan with some oats also.  Did soil tests and 2 of the 4 plots the PH is under 6 so want to get lime down this fall also .  I was amazed you were able to get into your fields. I think we got close to 3 inches of rain yesterday .  

Lime will do little for you this year. If you can get in there to spray do it.  Chance of rain pretty much all week. 

Perfect for new seed. Lime will take months to see an improvement. Rye will grow on wet concrete. 

I was going to wait until 1st or 2nd week of Sept for the clover, but I decided with all the rain in the forecast to put it down. 

If you want a nice clean field next spring, rye is your crop. 

You could still get some brassicas down but window is closing fast. 

5 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Lime will do little for you this year. If you can get in there to spray do it.  Chance of rain pretty much all week. 

Perfect for new seed. Lime will take months to see an improvement. Rye will grow on wet concrete. 

I was going to wait until 1st or 2nd week of Sept for the clover, but I decided with all the rain in the forecast to put it down. 

If you want a nice clean field next spring, rye is your crop. 

You could still get some brassicas down but window is closing fast. 

Yes , I know  it won't do much this year but it needs to be done .  I will be looking for any window to get in there and spray but I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature .  Thanks for your input Tom , much appreciated .

Sprayed this 2 acre parcel with Farmworks Glyphosate from Tractor Supply on May 26th

IMG_5838.thumb.JPG.503240f3e93776ef8cd76a2eac51bcb0.JPG

two days later, may 28th, I thoroughly Rototilled the patch and let it breath for a short periodIMG_5843.thumb.JPG.2d829f05a95aff25578bf6bf5a8c2b26.JPG

returned on July 2nd to find the grounds essentially as if left it, with no new growth and ready to grow.  I gave the soil one more tilling and put down 20 lbs of Deer Max and prayed for some rain! 😜👍

Returned 2 weeks later, on July 17th, to find a nice bit of growth with virtually no rain stimulating things.

IMG_6193.thumb.JPG.34aaf22e315d43f5d2098d982fcfd6c7.JPG

Nearly immediately after I headed home, the skies fell and delivered a lot of sorely needed water and things quickly exploded.  This was taken a week later, July 13th.IMG_6291.thumb.JPG.95e6197ae44040ff1b432a26e866bf1c.JPG

i was most recently up for the weekend of august 5th and this is what things were looking like.  Can't wait to get up in the next week or two.  Going to be a number crop for sure!!!

IMG_6362.thumb.PNG.f909bed4546cc68efe05c8c2cffaf5f5.PNG

IMG_6289.JPG

Posted (edited)

Looks great^

If you can, till up another strip and plant it with a cereal grain such as winter rye. 

If you have never planted brassicas before, sometimes it takes awhile for deer to aquire a taste for them. Especially turnips. The deer around me started hitting the big leafy tops. Took them 2 seasons to eat the turnips. Some wont touch them at all. Another thing I like to plant with the deer max and ultra max is radishes. The deer love the tops. The radishes are great for the soil too as they have a deep tap root and huge tuber, whats not eaten decays into the soil. The huge hole left behind will fill with water and freeze. The expansion and contraction helps bust up the soil. 

Mix some clover in with the rye and the deer will hammer it early spring as it will be the 1st green around. 

Rye will give you a weed free plot next year

Just picked up 1000 lbs of rye tonight

20180813_195722.thumb.jpg.744014758878fda763ba88d725b6eaa5.jpg

Edited by tcook8296
  • Like 1

Wow, Tom, thanks much for the guidance.

while this is the first time I've planted this particular plot,  I have previously planted another piece a short was away. IMG_2879.thumb.JPG.4dc4317f150e4532e3443947dfa85ad1.JPGIMG_2885.thumb.JPG.6d37117e5980a36a0c365da78f099469.JPGIMG_2887.thumb.JPG.8264290a597e0e2f7c3e296fcc2cadeb.JPG

I put a dual-perimeter electric fence up to initially keep the deer out because the plot was a small one (.4 acre).  I took the fence down a week before gun season and was amazed that all the greenery was completely grazed away by the following weekend.  The deer then proceeded to tear up the ground to get to the goodies.  I'm hopeful that the bigger plot, which is not fenced, will enable them to get an earlier taste that they just can't stay away from.

here are a couple of other, smaller plots I've got going with the same Deer Max planting.

IMG_5851.thumb.JPG.878d372b5f7d87bb53e51805009ce6dc.JPGIMG_5853.thumb.JPG.1bbf9c83ecdafc14fefdc26932038ffb.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

• Like 1

Sweet Jeezus, how large is that planting, Tom?  That is crazy lush 👍