IGNORED

Fall food plot preps

It's a lot to do in a short period of time to establish a food plot. Depends on what you are starting with and type of soil you are dealing with. I have always got a soil test to determine pH levels to determine how much lime and what type of fertilizer is needed. Weed control is always a major issue when starting a food plot. I usually cut/till and spray a couple times before I prepare the sheet bed to give the seed little competition for the proper nutrients to grow. And then there is always the rain issue.... Are you going to have enough moisture to properly keep the seed hydrated. I am going to start another one this week and see how it goes.... Worst case scenario I have a prepared food plot area for next season for Spring planting. I have always used Whitetail Institute. They are very helpful and their customer service is fantastic. If you just want to start out with an annual Whitetail Institute no plow seed is pretty good and establishes rather quickly. A lot of information I just researched everything online and got the hang of it. Best of luck

My 6lbs. Total Deer max and Ultra max arrived today.

The 30'x120' plot area currently has some grass on it. Thursday, I cut it down and

Round-upped it. The area is

semi- shaded by the high canopy woods and borders a seasonal pond and 20yds. from the river. The land is about 2-3' above the high water mark.

Bucksnbows knows it well.

It is a sanctuary and not far from bedding areas.

I'm looking at about two weeks to get the seed in the ground. I plan to use a weighted aerator to get the seed to depth in the soil.

The seed drill and planter seemed to be excessive.

Time to read up on the Merit Seed Wildlife Food Plot product guide enclosed with the seed.

Thanks in advance for the advice on the planting process.

I'll test the PH Friday.

Ph 6

P

K

N

*** Soil amendments postponed with flood water coming till Sunday 12th.

I just got my brassicas in yesterday. The seed you have is exactly what I planted. If your grass that was cut and sprayed did not leave you with a heavy thatch you can just broadcast the seed into the grass. Pack it with the tires on your quad, a lawn roller or cultipacker. If you have heavy thatch, you could rake it and remove it. No need to till disc or drill brassicas. Try to get them in asap. 

Chance of thunderstorms almost every day for the next week and you want a minimum of 60 days before a hard frost. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

I just got my brassicas in yesterday. The seed you have is exactly what I planted. If your grass that was cut and sprayed did not leave you with a heavy thatch you can just broadcast the seed into the grass. Pack it with the tires on your quad, a lawn roller or cultipacker. If you have heavy thatch, you could rake it and remove it. No need to till disc or drill brassicas. Try to get them in asap. 

Chance of thunderstorms almost every day for the next week and you want a minimum of 60 days before a hard frost. 

I sprayed the Roundup concentrate today.

Will the seeds do well now as the grass and weeds die over the next two weeks?

Friday will be clear skies before the rains.

Here’s a few I did this year in NY 

Orchard Site 6/14/18

A5460F0D-F95A-4C17-B269-F61BC99E167F.jpeg

Pond Site 6/14/18

64928043-836B-4528-B6E3-E6950B240B02.jpeg

Camp Field 6/14/18

CC871868-996B-4EE1-94EC-07FEEE3051C9.jpeg

Orchard Site 8/5/17

E22ACEAC-1EAB-415F-9FF9-2CCA65556293.jpeg

Pond Site 8/5/18

72BC93A2-BD2E-4C8D-BFA1-6CA203674CB0.jpeg

Camp Field 

F67D71E5-4548-4FEF-99AB-FFEFD8417400.jpeg

Fusion was planted in Pond and Camp Fields  , Edge is in the orchard Site. 

Total of 3000 lbs of lime and 300 lbs of 15/15/15 and 200 of 0/0/20 . It needs to be mowed and probably sprayed with a selective . 

Edited by Nanuk

Best case you could soil tested and amended the soil. Then you coulda sprayed roundup. Given it anywhere  from a few hours to a  week or so. Broadcasted seed right into the grass. And mowed it. Roundup at that point has done its job.  Mowing will get the seed down to the soil as well as provide a thatch later. Thatch will serve half a dozen benefits to the immediate as well as future efforts. 

The seed is down. The zero turn mower made multiple passes to hold the seed. There is a threat of a flash flood this weekend with already saturated soils.
The Ph is 6
Soil amendments will wait til after the floodwaters recede.20180810_170548.jpeg

1 hour ago, tcook8296 said:

Let it rain let it rain let it rain. 

Got a good dose today. 

Woke up early and beat the rain. Got a mix of clover, alfalfa and trefoil seeded before the skies opened up. 

Even got a clover plot mowed 

There is no chance we are getting into our fields to do anything . Way to wet and not looking good for awhile .  

10 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

There is no chance we are getting into our fields to do anything . Way to wet and not looking good for awhile .  

Winter rye labor day weekend. Burn down the plot first chance you get and surface broadcast winter rye. 

Throw some clover in too. 

www.liftxrentals.com