IGNORED

Quartering in the field

BobbyDigital

As Rusty said, some rope with loops will work just fine.  Keep the gut-cut small and the drag should be fine.

If you want to go full on Bear Grylls:

(1) After bleeding and gralloching cut a small incision in the rear hind legs at the ankle (#17 in the image, looks like a knee, but technically, deer have no knees), just as you would for a gambrel.

(2) Insert the front legs through the incision and you have a bambi-back pack!

Just make sure you are wearing a hat and slick as ticks will be looking for a new home!

I prefer to use the gutless method and quarter in the field.  When NJ went to automated check system I did most of my deer that way.  I had a system down where I could keep the meat clean and in the time it would take to gut and drag to the truck I would already be back at the truck with the meat quartered up and the head in a bag.  When i got home put the meat in a refrigerator and the head in the freezer (for the 48 hours) and I was done.  No hanging, skinning, quartering, no mess at the house and no rib cage, hide, etc to fill up the trash can.  When they implemented the wanton waste law I had to go back to dragging them out as I am hunting mostly state land where you can only leave entrails now.