IGNORED

Extended Choke Tubes

Batsto

Who uses extended choke tubes for small game?  I was thinking of getting a shorter barrel/24 inch for my Mossberg  835 and getting  an extended choke tube in skeet or improved cylinder to pump at some rabbits and woodcock. There are a lot of brands out there, what's your favorite? Thanks for the suggestions and pointers!

Edited by Batsto

The years when I was going out pheasant hunting in South Dakota I used a couple different extended chokes for my one semi-auto which were from kick's & briley for those loads, which patterned great. But for most of my hunting here when running hounds for rabbit I would use regular flush chokes, usually Improved Cyl. or in my SxS   IC & Mod

Edited by Silver Belly62

Don't waste your money on extended or any choke tubes.

You are much better off buying guns for each particular hunting situation you may encounter and not have the hassle of changing choke tubes while afield !

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

All the talk of chokes. There was a time all the talk was about Lenth of the Barrels, till Faster Burning smokeless powders came about. Then attention turned to Wads and powder charges. The right Wad and Powder charge does more than a Choke that the Wad passes threw and could also adversely affect patterns the Wads were designed to do. Reloaders of Shotgun shells have a wide choice of Recipes to choose from being it Powders- Wads - Load and lead size choices. While Factory load shooters are limited to Brands but even there are many choices of Loads.             The shelves are full of Choices High- Low Brass- Mag - Express - Nitro - #9 #7 #6  Rabit- Pheasant- Duck-Quail all Manufactured Hype. when all will do a good job on their own on any of them.  Now they Ad Chokes - Compensators - Back Boring  - Forced Cones - It Surly keeps the Economy Going and shooters Interested.                   It all comes down to whatever floats your boat.  A once $50 single shot 12ga Stevens or an $8000 Kreigof. with all the bells and whistles. It still is the Man doing the shooting.                                                                                                                    Think about it a 1-Inch Diameter Tube is a 1-inch Diameter Tube no matter who makes it.  The only thing that can affect it is what it is attached and how it is used.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

All the talk of chokes. There was a time all the talk was about Lenth of the Barrels, till Faster Burning smokeless powders came about. Then attention turned to Wads and powder charges. The right Wad and Powder charge does more than a Choke that the Wad passes threw and could also adversely affect patterns the Wads were designed to do. Reloaders of Shotgun shells have a wide choice of Recipes to choose from being it Powders- Wads - Load and lead size choices. While Factory load shooters are limited to Brands but even there are many choices of Loads.             The shelves are full of Choices High- Low Brass- Mag - Express - Nitro - #9 #7 #6  Rabit- Pheasant- Duck-Quail all Manufactured Hype. when all will do a good job on their own on any of them.  Now they Ad Chokes - Compensators - Back Boring  - Forced Cones - It Surly keeps the Economy Going and shooters Interested.                   It all comes down to whatever floats your boat.  A once $50 single shot 12ga Stevens or an $8000 Kreigof. with all the bells and whistles. It still is the Man doing the shooting.                                                                                                                    Think about it a 1-Inch Diameter Tube is a 1-inch Diameter Tube no matter who makes it.  The only thing that can affect it is what it is attached and how it is used.  

Great points, its all in the load itself. A poorly constructed powder/ wad combination is as useless as tits on a bull and no extended aftermarket choke will improve it. Many buy these super high velocity rounds which usually pattern like shit. In my experiences reloading nothing patterns better than roll crimps, folds are inconsistent pattern wise when you compare loads side by side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

3 hours ago, maximus66 said:

Great points, its all in the load itself. A poorly constructed powder/ wad combination is as useless as tits on a bull and no extended aftermarket choke will improve it. Many buy these super high velocity rounds which usually pattern like shit. In my experiences reloading nothing patterns better than roll crimps, folds are inconsistent pattern wise when you compare loads side by side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience with Roll Crimps. I only Reloaded Star Crimps. with my MEC Loaders 12-20-16-410.  With some 10 years of Pro. Skeet the recipes were at times experimental. But with the knowledge of the Other Members of NJSSSA shooting Guns of all makes the Recipies were Constant. A lot of Bells and whistles were added mostly for the Mind Game.  As far as Rolls Versus Folds as you put it Winchester AA was constant - Reliable plus more reloads before any Crimp failures that for 12 ga the others had less life the 410s were the worst at times only 2-3 reloads before they turned into Whistlers.  I went English on my Loads for 12ga much lighter no loss of Till I used the 20ga in all 12 ga events. less kick improved scores.  Another point you want tighter Patterns for 12 ga just go to a 20 ga.  again it is the Loads Lead _ Powder Ratio.  Another fact Reloads shot better than Factory Empties were Sought after and Factories were avoided by the general Shooters where National shoots were Factory Only. I only did one of them The Royal Palm Open- Palm Beach Fla. It was fun and Humbling and Expensive for 4 gun shoot. plus travel and expenses. Just had to do One.   

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I think any of the major brands make good chokes and really depends on the gun and load you are shooting.  I'd shoot the factory choke at a pattern board to see if it patterns well.  If not, Carlson's trulock, briley, Mueller, patternmaster etc... Can all be good.  I'd start with Carlson's as they're cheaper than most. 

• 4 weeks later...