IGNORED

Hey clammers. Will these work??

FLEWTHECOUPE

Picked a pair of these up a few years a for for free. 

I thought they where clam rakes.  But i see now that they

Are calico crab rakes. 

I spent some time fixing them to up with some new handles

And welding brackets on today. Still gotta sew nets on The back

Will they work for clams?  Why not? Thanks

I've never been clamming and plan on giving it a go soon. 

IMG_20180725_183032.jpg

Edited by FLEWTHECOUPE

1 hour ago, FLEWTHECOUPE said:

I really don't see many  with 6" teeth.  Rgw.  

How about these??

00V0V_2e0mKfQUfOM_1200x900.jpg

00Y0Y_9y1s57hBdpW_1200x900.jpg

I have one like the stainless one in picture, similar to the killer clam rake. My bro has one like other pic.....mine is easier to pull thru sand n mud because the tines are made out of steak knives and are thinner than other rake tines, and they slice thru sand n mud. You are guna have a lot of drag and resistance with those tines on that calico rake, but I imagine you will be able scratch a few up before your back hurts. 

What rake do you need :headscratch: I've Been Clamming for many years and have done it with many methods?  From the foot dig to Hand grab. Have made many a Rake for people since the ones given the name Clam Rake cost too much for the type of clamming I wound up doing past few years which is Raking the exposed Sand Bars in the Navesink ever since they reopened the one approved area Seasonal ( Fall-Winter ) THe method starts with  a shallow hole 3-5 in deep couple feet wide and just move forward raking at the wall of that hole, The clams are not that deep and to go deeper is only added work.  No need to actually have a rake they won't fit thru as you are just exposing them doing it this way. There are a lot of guys that do the Water raking same area but I don't need that exercise. Limits can be in 1 hour or 2 1/2 hours depending on conditions.  I also have a Ring Made from PVC pipe on a cord that I gauge the legal size clams before I load and go ashore The Wardens are there often and will Fine for Each and every Clam undersized or over the limit. Be surprised how many people they get on regular bases even without a license.   The photos are what we use since it is done while you are Kneeling.      For some reason, the softClams have been showing up in bigger numbers and sizes But I have no way of Purging them.  Guys with Commercial License also clam there and they use the regular long - wider rakes.  since there limits are more than then Recreational Licences. I invited a few members last year but Health issues got in the way to actually clam but I guided one who now is a regular.  

th (1).jpg

3108n.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif