IGNORED

Broadhead recommendation

Rutting Buck

7 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

If I was gonna shoot s fixed head it would be g5 montec.

Those heads fly like darts but leave the worst blood trails on earth.  Lots of 3 and 4 blade fixed heads out there that do a far better job than that.  Don't get me wrong, they're nice, well made heads and all, but they leave little tiny holes that tend to close up.  

If your bow is already setup with thunderheads and  shooting good I wouldn't change a thing for a season or two. You said this is your first year, which will be a learning curve in itself. Don't complicate things if your setup is already good to go, JMO.  They are a good broadhead, and haven't been around a long time for nothing. Good luck this season  !

Those heads fly like darts but leave the worst blood trails on earth.  Lots of 3 and 4 blade fixed heads out there that do a far better job than that.  Don't get me wrong, they're nice, well made heads and all, but they leave little tiny holes that tend to close up.  
Montec is 1 1/16" compared to thunderhead and muzzy 1 3/16"

1/8" isn't going to make much of a difference IMO.
More importantly than diameter is location of shot and angle of shot and how much the skin stretches prior to cutting.

G5 is cut on contact so might not prestretch the skin as much before slicing.

Muzzy is chizzle tipped, but the blades are set back behind the tip which I believe allows the skin to stretch before slicing making a larger hole

I've used all of the above heads.
I did not like thunderhead blades fall off when unscrewed.

I loved muzzys interlocking design but found they didnt fly as nicely off my higher speed bow. They shot great my Mathews q2..
Maybe I had a turning issue.. idk.. I never went back.

I love g5 montec design.. 1 piece. Easy to sharpen. Strong. Accurate.

I choose large cut rage heads overall and have been using them since they came out and haven't looked back since.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've never used thunderheads actually, so I have no true opinion on them. 

I have hunted with the montecs and also read hundreds of accounts on archerytalk and other sites and they are always consistent with my experiences with them.  They leave terrible blood trails.  I'm wary of any head with that design as well.  It's a shame bc they are strong, accurate and easy to sharpen.  

I'd rather use a head that leaves a damn axe wound in a deer though.  Right now it's those magnus black hornets.  I like 4 blade design over a 3 blade head too (basically a big 2 blade with a good sized bleeder blade) because of the trauma it causes.  No blood trailing issues for me, even though the almost always drop within 40-50 yards anyway. 

When I used mechanicals, it was always grim reapers.  They put deer down quickly.  I prefer that type of blade deployment style over the rage, but both of those mechanicals leave beastly exit wounds as well.

To each their own though.   So many great heads out there.  Just wanted to share my experience with those montecs.  Google G5 montec blood trails if you want to read up more about it.  Maybe other folks can chime in with their experiences with them

Lots of great broadheads out there but what I find with most heads is that they are not truly “razor” sharp or have the correct steel to maintain great sharpness.  A razor cut is what puts blood on the ground and deer down quickly.  All my broadheads are traditional type and I usually end up shooting single bevel two blades I sharpen myself.  One broadhead I trust “out of the box” for its penetration, dependability, flight, and most important sharpness is a Magnus stingers.  They truly will shave hair easily straight out of the pack and the company stands behind their product.  Here is what an animal should look like with proper shot placement and a SHARP head (remember it’s only a 1 1/8” cutting diameter also!)

59567F56-C527-43A7-AF58-B44FC8B6E04E.jpeg

12 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Lots of great broadheads out there but what I find with most heads is that they are not truly “razor” sharp or have the correct steel to maintain great sharpness.  A razor cut is what puts blood on the ground and deer down quickly.  All my broadheads are traditional type and I usually end up shooting single bevel two blades I sharpen myself.  One broadhead I trust “out of the box” for its penetration, dependability, flight, and most important sharpness is a Magnus stingers.  They truly will shave hair easily straight out of the pack and the company stands behind their product.  Here is what an animal should look like with proper shot placement and a SHARP head (remember it’s only a 1 1/8” cutting diameter also!)

59567F56-C527-43A7-AF58-B44FC8B6E04E.jpeg

I can't over-emphasize what you just said, I would take sharpness as number one priority, followed by toughness, followed by tune-ability, followed by cut diameter.   I would only consider a mechanical head if it fell into that priority order, hence I shoot solid steel heads I can sharpen myself and leave nothing to chance or to some factory "quality control" 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Hey jack a rage head even you may like sorry I had to..  I don't like rage or any expendable either but this could be one I could get behind.....

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I can't over-emphasize what you just said, I would take sharpness as number one priority, followed by toughness, followed by tune-ability, followed by cut diameter.   I would only consider a mechanical head if it fell into that priority order, hence I shoot solid steel heads I can sharpen myself and leave nothing to chance or to some factory "quality control" 

Screenshot_20180726-100055_Web Browser.jpg

39 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Hey jack a rage head even you may like sorry I had to..  I don't like rage or any expendable either but this could be one I could get behind.....

Screenshot_20180726-100055_Web Browser.jpg

There are actually quite a few hybrid heads on the market nowadays.  Grim Reaper makes a nice one too

If you have a few minutes to kill, read through this thread a little bit and prepare to be awed.  There are some guys on archerytalk who have been building frankenheads for many years now and have created some absolute beasts.  

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1782089&highlight=frankenhead

Totally agree, i see a trend towards these smaller compact heads. My opinion is there is a direct correlation between guys wanting their broadheads and fieldpoints to hit the same POI but don’t have the knowledge of how to tune to make that happen with the compound. With the xbow there is no way to tune so the lean towards expandables for the same reason of POI. None of these compact heads leave a hole or bloodtrail like a 125gr Thunderhead or an Expandable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

2 hours ago, not on the rug said:

There are actually quite a few hybrid heads on the market nowadays.  Grim Reaper makes a nice one too

If you have a few minutes to kill, read through this thread a little bit and prepare to be awed.  There are some guys on archerytalk who have been building frankenheads for many years now and have created some absolute beasts.  

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1782089&highlight=frankenhead

I know rug..  I was just starting crap cu it was a rage..  ive actually  been considering the drt  bmf broad head

19 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I know rug..  I was just starting crap cu it was a rage..  ive actually  been considering the drt  bmf broad head

Have you ever shot/handled DirtNap Broadheads?  I'm not impressed by the quality or their ability to hold an edge.  

Take a closer look at the Grim Reaper Hybrids or the Bloodsport Gravedigger Hybrids.  Much nicer heads overall

22 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Have you ever shot/handled DirtNap Broadheads?  I'm not impressed by the quality or their ability to hold an edge.  

Take a closer look at the Grim Reaper Hybrids or the Bloodsport Gravedigger Hybrids.  Much nicer heads overall

Thanks I will take a look..  no I hadn't held the drt yet.  Honestly the head I loved was the carbon Express quad pro..  it got real hard to find so I went to g5..  I want to get back to the 2 blade with the 2 bleeders. I feel they leave the best blood trails..  I'm not sold on any mechanical yet I prefer solid heads

Edited by vdep217