IGNORED

Climber Recommendation

Gonna get my son (40) a new climber for his Birthday. Looking at the Summit Viper SD. Weighs only 20 lbs and I'm sure it will be BETTER than what he is currently using. Any pros or cons would be appreciated. I've got a couple of weeks to get it.

Thanks

bOb....ski

I've don't own the viper.   But, I've never heard anything but good things about the Summits.  I use the TreeWalker.  http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/.

I love the treewalker.  Very comfortable, easy to climb, large platform, rock solid on a tree...really feel safe with it, pretty light (18-19 lbs) can go around really big trees (up to 26 inch diameter which is a huge tree), packs up very easy.  Its $100 more than the viper though.... Would definitely recommend the TreeWalker, but as I said I've only heard good things about the Summit.   

How big is your son? I'm 5'11"/ 225 and the summit viper sd fits me just fine. There were times however on all day sits where I wished that the platform was a tad larger to allow a little more movement especially later in the season when you have 5 layers on. That being said, I did pick up a 2nd of the exact same one, so it's really not that bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What's he using now.   I had summit open shot liked it for its comfort they was pretty much it..  that got stolen from my truck..  I found an x stand sit n climb for 150..  only 11 lbs though not as comfy as summit I have no problem with 5 plus hours..  it does take a little getting used to with the flex arms but at I did i love the stand its more like hunting groom a portable than a climber

Edited by vdep217

I like the Summit Stands.  I currently use an Open Shot because I like the weight/portability and because I seldom sit for more than 3 hours at a time. I have ladder stands on my private spots too, so I tend to only use the climber when I'm checking out public land or testing out new spots.   

A Viper is a great stand.  The Goliath and Titan are nice for large folks or for stretching out for all day sits and taking a nap. 

I love my Summit Viper SD.  Extremely lightweight and very comfortable.  Only con that I can say is that sometimes the teeth make a squeaking noise when you put weight on it.  This is fixed by a minor adjustment in placement (up or down an inch on the tree) and seems to be more prominent when the angle of the platform is incorrect (bad guess on which notch on the cable I should use when staring up a tree 20').

I have the Summit Viper - been using it the past few years. I've fallen asleep in it - that should say something about its comfort. :) I've not run into any squeaking noises with mine, however, I will say that unless you strap the two pieces tight, the clanging can get loud when walking in with it on your back. I assume its the same with most other climbers but since this is my only one I've ever had, nothing to compare it. It is annoying though.  When I take it out of the truck, I make sure I cinch down the strap I wrap about both halves to make sure they are tight against each other before putting it on my back and walking in.

I feel very safe when I'm climbing with this thing. However, I may have to replace the cables soon - or at least re-wrap them with the shrink tubing. The shrink tubing peels off the knobs on the cable (the knobs are what I call the things that hold the cables in the climber platforms). But the cables still seem to be in good shape anyway.

Finally, I recommend buying these - great side-bags for the Summit so I no longer have to carry a backpack in with me (note, that is an Amazon link to the latest version of the side bags, IIRC there was a previous version of the bags that some people I read complained about their quality. These ones I bought seem really good, though.)

I haven't used a climber since I was probably 17. I hated needing a tree with no cover.

You may want to consider a chipewa wedge loc treestand with some muddy climbing sticks.

That setup can get you in any tree you want just as fast and quiet as a climber. Its heavy, but it's awesome. You can wedge the muddy sticks into the treestand wedges and ratchet then tight. Backpack straps and you're good to go. Just upgrade the cushion on the stand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dlist777 said:

I've don't own the viper.   But, I've never heard anything but good things about the Summits.  I use the TreeWalker.  http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/.

I love the treewalker.  Very comfortable, easy to climb, large platform, rock solid on a tree...really feel safe with it, pretty light (18-19 lbs) can go around really big trees (up to 26 inch diameter which is a huge tree), packs up very easy.  Its $100 more than the viper though.... Would definitely recommend the TreeWalker, but as I said I've only heard good things about the Summit.   

I opened this thread to also promote TreeWalker.  Best climber there is and rated for 350#. I have had mine for 6 or 7 years and still love it. Only downside is the geometry of the rifle support doesn't work for me, but I usually don't hunt with a firearm from a tree anyway.

1 hour ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I haven't used a climber since I was probably 17. I hated needing a tree with no cover.

You may want to consider a chipewa wedge loc treestand with some muddy climbing sticks.

That setup can get you in any tree you want just as fast and quiet as a climber. Its heavy, but it's awesome. You can wedge the muddy sticks into the treestand wedges and ratchet then tight. Backpack straps and you're good to go. Just upgrade the cushion on the stand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used Chipewa wedg loc for years but now the millennium stands have similar system, only much better with much more comfortable stands.
BTW C.Wedge lock with four sticks, I use lone wolf, is lighter than most climbers.