IGNORED

What to plant?

This trail through my woods downst grow due to no sunlight..
Is there a food plot seed I can plant on the path that will grow or am I out of luck unless I cut down some trees to let light in? Both sides of the trail has some greenery but for some reason the trail doesnt.. it's not like its heavily used..
Idk.

20180717_191952.thumb.jpeg.28403a0997e3a477c0b6ea55f541e444.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They say winter Rye can grow in the back of a pick up truck.... I don’t know if it will grow without sunlight on your trail and there are other things to take into consideration,  but I can tell you this...  if you get it to grow on that trail, that trail will be your honey hole.  Wait until the last week of August, and quickly scratch it up and just broadcast your seed, the seed is cheap, you got nothing to lose. Make sure it’s cereal Rye. 

Edited by Bowhunter2004

They say winter Rye can grow in the back of a pick up truck.... I don’t know if it will grow without sunlight on your trail and there are other things to take into consideration,  but I can tell you this...  if you get it to grow on that trail, that trail will be your honey hole.  Wait until the last week of August, and quickly scratch it up and just broadcast your seed, the seed is cheap, you got nothing to lose. Make sure it’s cereal Rye. 
That's what I'm thinking to try.

Im thinking a  mix of ceral rye and white clovers. By doing a mix, you will have a better chance that something will grow. Next season, based on your observations, you can adjust your seeding.  The trails will need to be clean from leaves. After leaf drop, you will need to remove the leaves again or it will smother the grasses and small clovers   

One thing to consider is putting food on entry trails means a much better chance encountering deer on your entry and exits. I noticed you have stands all the way at the back of of your property which means you are walking right through your bedding areas to hunt. It only takes one doe crashing through the bedding area to empty the place out or put the other deer on alert. Just my opinion but it only takes a couple intrusions to elevate the pressure on your property and start pushing them off the property and make them nocturnal. 

On my property of 50 acres, I have 2 stands total. Both of those stands are permanent stands I can get in and out of and placed on the outer edges of the property. The deer can not sense they are being hunted if you want to see them move freely throughout the property during dsylight.  After Sept 1 the wooded areas are off limits to human foot traffic. I ride quads and tractors year round and the deer are conditioned to the machines. If I must go into the woods during hunting season, its by machine and slow enough to allow the deer to hear me coming. Most hold tight or just loop around me and go right back in to my woods. 

By having too many feeding options makes the property more difficult to hunt. By having just one or 2 areas to feed make the deer more predictable from bed to food.  Left undisturbed, the deer pretty much do the same thing almost every day. 

I dont even hunt until there is a buck I want to harvest. Once they create a routine, its just a matter of getting in and out with the right wind and making the shot. 

If I dont see a buck to hunt on camera, the property is left unhunted with the exception of a few sits when the chasing is full blown. 

www.liftxrentals.com

Vegetation grows right up to the trail.  I'm thinking it's more an issue of soil compaction not sunlight.  
Personally, I wouldn't want the trail being grown over.  It's just one thin strip, there's plenty of growth going on all around.  

I agree especially if it’s a trail you walk when going to stand. After leaves fall i actually rake them off the trail i use to go to stand. Nothing is worse than crunching your way to your stand on a frosty November morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

Im thinking a  mix of ceral rye and white clovers. By doing a mix, you will have a better chance that something will grow. Next season, based on your observations, you can adjust your seeding.  The trails will need to be clean from leaves. After leaf drop, you will need to remove the leaves again or it will smother the grasses and small clovers   
One thing to consider is putting food on entry trails means a much better chance encountering deer on your entry and exits. I noticed you have stands all the way at the back of of your property which means you are walking right through your bedding areas to hunt. It only takes one doe crashing through the bedding area to empty the place out or put the other deer on alert. Just my opinion but it only takes a couple intrusions to elevate the pressure on your property and start pushing them off the property and make them nocturnal. 
On my property of 50 acres, I have 2 stands total. Both of those stands are permanent stands I can get in and out of and placed on the outer edges of the property. The deer can not sense they are being hunted if you want to see them move freely throughout the property during dsylight.  After Sept 1 the wooded areas are off limits to human foot traffic. I ride quads and tractors year round and the deer are conditioned to the machines. If I must go into the woods during hunting season, its by machine and slow enough to allow the deer to hear me coming. Most hold tight or just loop around me and go right back in to my woods. 
By having too many feeding options makes the property more difficult to hunt. By having just one or 2 areas to feed make the deer more predictable from bed to food.  Left undisturbed, the deer pretty much do the same thing almost every day. 
I dont even hunt until there is a buck I want to harvest. Once they create a routine, its just a matter of getting in and out with the right wind and making the shot. 
If I dont see a buck to hunt on camera, the property is left unhunted with the exception of a few sits when the chasing is full blown. 
The trail is a low point in the property.. there are hills blocking me out from the bedding I'm making. I can walk to the pond and not be seen from the back of the property.
As for not stepping foot in the woods... my property is only 100 yards wide.. its surrounded by houses. There is always someone somewhere on the edge of these bedding areas. I continue to utilize the woods all season so the resident does are used to my presence. They run, but come back shortly after I pass by..