IGNORED

Making Pickles

Greybeard

I took over the kitchen.  Wife left.   And I wonder why?

Waiting for the water to boil for another batch of bottles.  Electric stoves really aren't good for boiling big pots of water.

Have 6 jars of dill spears and one of dill sandwich slices.  Gonna see if I can get 4 more jars of medallions.

Hearing the seals popping on the first batch already.

PS... only had enough cukes from the garden to do 3 more jars, 10 total.  The cucumber plants still have a lot of growing to do.

IMG_0336c.thumb.JPG.dbfbc62bfe82ab71fdbf9ccdf7c1224c.JPGIMG_0335c.thumb.JPG.8e34ac29f2353b77213c63a4faaee00c.JPG

Looks good. I put up about 24 quart jars of spears and slices, and 18 pint jars of slices and whole, baby pickles, all with Mrs Wages packet. Yesterday I tried something new. I put up a few quart jars and pint jars or spicy pickles. I just put the slices in the jars with a homemade brine, added mustard seed, garlic, dill and jalapeno pepper rings. So I will have pickled jalapeno peppers and spicy pickle slices, hopefully. I made a bunch of the  brine so I also put up a few jars of garlic and ginger pickled carrot and zucchini sticks. The jars have several slices of ginger in them so I get some pickled ginger out of it too. 

The family eats a lot of pickles.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

That sounds good, DV1.  I'd like to pickle more stuff too, and can tomatoes.  I have 3 boxes of quart jars but can't use a pot big enough for them on my stove.  Has to be a flat bottom pot for one, and it has a hard time boiling the water in the smaller pot I have for the pint jars because the stove regulates the heat on and off so the glass top doesn't get too hot.   I need to get an open double burner gas stove for outside, the type that is just a ring to set the pot on.

My dad used to make a lot of dill pickles and bread and butter pickles.

He always bought baskets of pickling cukes to do it. one of the few things he didn't use cukes from his own garden for.

He said he wanted to do bigger batches than the garden supplied during a week.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

14 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

He always bought baskets of pickling cukes to do it. one of the few things he didn't use cukes from his own garden for.

He said he wanted to do bigger batches than the garden supplied during a week.

I agree.

Same here with us too.

Small garden.

I go to the Vietnamese Market and buy a bushel and then make some with salt/vinegar mix.

Other batches we make using fermentation in a ceramic croc pot.

Just have fun and enjoy yourself.:up:

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

37 minutes ago, DBuck said:

Looks good, care to share your recipe?

Just mrs wages packet from walmart.  Mix with 7 1/3 cup water and 3 1/3 cups white vinegar.   And I'm trying adding a tsp of balls dill pickling spices to each jar, because wages was on the bland side when I used it last year.   That's sold next to the mix packets.   Mrs wages bread and butter mix came out really good, but it takes something like 7 cups of sugar.  I'm trying to cut down on sugar.One packet will be enough to make 12-15 pint jars, depending on how tight you can pack the cucumbers in the jar.

Edited by Greybeard

17 hours ago, ESetter said:

Looks great! Do you have to boil the jars once they are packed? 

Wash everything first.  Water should be about an inch above the jars.  Boil the jars to sterilize them(bring to boil then remove pot from heat), then pack them, fill with hot(brought to a boil) liquid seasonings, leaving 1/2" space on top, and put lids on(I also sterilize lids in a little sauce pan).  Wipe the rims of the jars off with a paper towel before putting on the lid to make sure you get a tight seal.  Then put them back in water and bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes(15 for qts), then remove pot from heat and let the bottles sit in the water for another 5 minutes before removing them.

Edited by Greybeard